Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
    Striking back at management practices
    My situation is that I put in for a promotion at work. I would be responsible for the department I now work in. I am highly qualified for the position having a master's degree in a closely related subject area, and I have been with the company for 3 years in an entry level position. I am pretty sure that someone else will be chosen to fill the position because the senior managers seem to like to choose outsiders from other companies. This will be the fifth supervisor since I have worked for the company.

Descriptions of the past supervisors include a 50 year-old dope-smoking lesbian with an agenda, a black male who thought he was God's gift to women, a lazy white guy who was an ex-skateboarder with no sense of responsibility, and a white guy that consistently promotes his female buddies to management regardless of their work patterns.

None of the past supervisors have a college degree. I am under the belief that the senior management wants to keep the mid-level management unqualified to move past that level. I am interested in the position so that I can show supervisory experience in the field, as well as for the increase of pay.

I feel like I want to make life a nightmare for the new hire if it is not me. I know that it will not be the fault of the new hire, but I am very disgruntled and not in the mood to make life easy for someone who is taking a position that I wanted.

I am also trying to figure out ways to make the senior management regret not choosing me. I am also willing to strike back at them if possible. I've thought about using extra supplies just to cost the company money... hitting them in the pocket book?

I know it probably sounds like sour grapes, and it may be, but I am tired of not being recognized for my abilities. High school dropouts working for this company make more money than I do.

I don't want to do anything illegal, but would appreciate ideas for helping me get a feeling of "satisfaction" or striking back at the people who seem to be keeping me down.

I also don't want my actions to be traced back to me... so I need to be sneaky.

I do not plan on staying with this company past next summer, but need the money for now.

I could go on about the conditions and all at work about practices the company does at workers expense, but I'll save that for later postings if anyone wants to know.

Thanks for reading.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Has anyone ever felt this way? What did you do about it?
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Dec 8, 2007, 01:57 AM
    I know that you may want to "strike back" but - this is not the right thing to do. You may be the one that gets hurt. If they pick someone else then make your plans to move on. This is where you will get your strength from - not from trying to get back at them. The company is the one that loses in the end - a company needs good managers and supervisors to assure that the company goals are met - and if they make poor choices for those positions then it means loss of production, loss of money, loss of motivation - all kinds of stuff.

You want to work for a company that is looking for people with your education background, and can offer opportunities for you to move up. This may not be the best place for you if they don't care who they put in charge - it shows a lack of responsibility and regard for their own business.

Do the right thing and start looking for other opportunities. Don't waste your time trying to get "even". You are not obligated to stay there if you don't like it. You need to take care of yourself and protect your job since you need the money. You may also need them to make a good recommendation on your behalf when you leave. Don't risk yourself and put yourself in harms way just because you feel like getting even. You are more important than that.

There is something else I want you to think about - remember, as a leader you should maintain certain ethical and moral standards. Why? Because you will set an example for other people and because you always want to do what is honest and in the best interest of everyone involved - including yourself. You never want to set a bad example to tarnish your reputation. You always want to represent the qualities that make a successful leader. We have all read the stories of people who reach the top only to fall on their faces because of stupid or irresponsible behavior. Set the standard now on how you should behave and you won't have to worry about that when you reach the top. Take care.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Hi oneguyinohio,
    Dang, I wish I had had a talk with Illusion, during every job I've had. Great advice. But since I didn't have such excellent counsel, I learned a lot about getting even.

I'll tell you one thing though. You can't care. The company you're presently with may not give you a good recommendation anyway, but you have to live with the results of your actions.

The most risky thing I ever did was help out a radical co-worker. The employees at the place we worked were attempting to get the union in. But, I didn't care about it either way, and I appear innocent. I went to the main office, reached into my boss's mail slot, and made a copy, the copy machine was right there, of the strategies given by the company to quell the union sympathizers. I wasn't ruffled when two people asked if I would be done with the copier soon and I just slipped the stuff back into the mail slot and went to give what I copied to my radical friend. That was unethical and extremely stupid! I did not get caught. But I felt like a traitor afterwards and would not do it ever again.

People you dislike sometimes aren't able to come to work when their cars won't start.
    Or their daycare receives a call questioning how their child molestation case is going.
    Their work suffers when something has been added to their coffee that causes them to spend way too much time in the bathroom.
    Then, there are the hallucinogens, many of which are without taste. (I feel that this is the kindest thing you can do for some people).

No, I haven't done all of these horrible things. And you shouldn't either. You have a bright future ahead of you. I have read your posts. You are brilliant. I do hope you find a company that appreciates you.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 05:55 AM
    If this company's personnel practices are as bad as you say, you really don't want to move "up" in it. Revenge usually costs more than it's worth. If you indulge the urge for it, you descend to their level, and ironically, come to "belong" there.
    I do not plan on staying with this company past next summer
    Then invest the energy you would use to get even with this employer in the search for a better one instead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Well the fact that you want to get even and strike back are good factors why you are not ready for a management position, a manger should be someone who will learn to take all of the BS from above and below and deal with it on a daily basis.

Also many companies always hire from outside, so if you want a promotion you will have to go to work somewhere else, put out resumes, go on interiviews and sell what you have to offer.

Also be willing to relocate, if you really want to promote up, you will have to be willing to take those management jobs where you find them
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Thank you everyone for your comments. They are most appreciated and helped me.

I will focus my efforts on moving on. I think that will be time well spent! I won't follow up on any of my feelings wanting to strike back. I agree that would not make sense, nor be wise. I'm just tired of the company practices. My best bet is to move on...

I did not get the promotion, but was invited to reapply in the future should another position become available. I happen to know that another supervisor plans to leave next month... but since no mention was made of that when I was told that I could reapply, I assume that the invitation was little more than the standard "feel free to reapply in the future..."
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Then reapply in the future but keep your options open and look around for other employment. Trying to strike back hardly ever works - can get you fired. Blacklisted too.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Well there are a few things I would suggest to you. First, keep your personal social agenda at home. You will have to work with a lot of different kind of people - who are lesbian, smoke, think they are hot, are womanizers and more. None of that is pertinent to the job so ignore it.

Second, apply for the job. REcognize what you already know - they don't value education. Find out what they do value. Perhaps they like people who "get along". Maybe what they see in the people with the agendas, flirtation and other outgoing aspects to their personalities is what they are hoping to be the trait of being personable and approachable. Are you someone others like? Are you a person others find easy to talk to and accepting? Perhaps they think these other people are able to bring out the best in others. Find out what they want. Ask what they want. Go to the hiring manager and tell him/her flat out, "You know, I feel I would be an outstanding fit for this position and am wondering what attributes you would need to see in me to consider me for this position, as I want to cultivate any that I do not possess already." Perhaps their response will bring up attributes you don't even want to possess.

IN any event, it sounds like you don't like the people you work with, and revenge isn't even satisfying to the person who instigates it. I truly think you are the wrong fit for the company, or they are the wrong fit for you so move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethical practices [ 7 Answers ]

What is the relationship of constructive ethical practices to organizational performance?

Striking out! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok I have been single now for 5 months and I really don't want to be anymore. I'm always out and about meeting new people and having a good time. It seems like every time I meet a girl I like and she seems to be interested in me, it turns out the opposite. I ask her out to either the movies or too...

501(c)(3) employment practices [ 10 Answers ]

Where can I find information about the employment practices a Maryland based 501(c)(3) should follow? Are they bound by State Employment practices?

New here, Physics in Striking. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey people, I'm Matt and have just joined, in the hope of having a couple of questions answered. Before I go into asking them though I need to ask if anyone here has any knowledge of martial arts or boxing. First question though is is the book 'physics for dummies any good?' ...

KY, collection agency practices [ 12 Answers ]

Last year, I was contacted by a lawyer I have never heard of in the next town about a few small old bills that didn't get paid, threatening to get a judgement. Total of around $1200. I wrote him back and said that I did not dispute the bills, and that I would pay $150 per month until they were...

View more questions Search