Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonicvibe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down
    If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Assuming friction or not?

Dec 6, 2007, 01:16 AM
    No and yes. If no, I'm assuming it takes the same time to go up and down? But with friction... hmmmmm.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 01:17 AM
    It seems to me that it would be equal because the force applied to push it up the incline will only serve to make it go further up and gradually slow until it gets as far as it will go, then on the way down it will begin slowly and pick up speed as it goes. The force applied to overcome gravity on the way up is then absent on the way down.

Imagine a ball thrown straight up in the air. When it gets to the highest point, it would then take the same amount of time to get back to where it started.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on my logic.

Friction would be constant going up or down.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 07:29 AM
    I think it takes longer on the way down, assuming friction is present. When going up there are two components of forces opposing its motion - both gravity and friction are causing it to slow,so ut will slow pretty quickly. But on the way down gravity is causing it to accelerate while friction is causing it to go slower. Hence the sum of the forces when going up is a greater opposing force than the sum of the forces on the way down. This means that the deceleration on the way up is greater than the acceleration on the way down.

You can see this perhaps clearer if you think through a couple of examples. The example that OneGuy described is correct if there is no friction present. But imagine the case where the friction force is equal to or greater than the gravity force - in this case after the object moves up the ramp and stops, it never stars sliding back down, so here the time it takes to slide down is infinite. Thus as long as riction is present, it takes longer to go back down the ramp than it took to go up and come to a stop.

Dec 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Wowwww, this stuff makes total sense now! Thanks people!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Longer sex. [ 10 Answers ]

What can I do to help my boyfriend last longer in bed?

How can I get my boyfriend to last longer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm actually the girlfriend of a guy who has PE. When we first started having sex, he lasted about 15 minutes (which is good for the most part). Now, a year later, he seriously is like 1-3 minutes then he is finished. What makes it worse is that there is no other type of foreplay (i.e. oral...

She is no longer an employee [ 3 Answers ]

Even if she is no longer an employee she can still be charged? I thought embezzlement was over 10000?

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

Is there anything I can do to last longer? [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help but I don't know if anyone can help on on this. Mabye just a tip or something. My girlfriend and I have been dating for a while and we have just started to have sex. And ever time I start to get her going I cum. Is there anything I can do to last longer and make the sex amazing...

View more questions Search