Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonnyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Poor water pressure in new shower
    We recently underwent a renovation of existing second floor bathroom. The shower has a main head and a second hand held. The pressure is so low that the handheld doesn't work. The main head is also very low. We have a sink and jacuzzi in the same MBR and a second bathroom very close by that all work fine. None of them have great pressure, but definitely adequate.
    We have our own well for water and the pressure gauge ranges between 30 and 52.
    The house was built in 1964.

I am planning on speaking to plumber tomorrow, but wanted your advice on why this is happening and what can be done to help it.

Jon
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Good morningt Jon,

How many times have I heard the same complaint? In a older home, and especially if you have galvanized piping, over the years minerals will buildup in the pipe walls. Along comes a homeowner that remodels his bath room. However, in doing that he disturbs the pipes and dislodges the crud built up in the pipes. When he turns back on the water and tests the new faucet the crud is sucked up into the inlet ports of the cartridge blocking the flow. Also by flushing the toilet it's also drawn up in the ballcock and blocking that flow.
    If you're handy you might not to pay out that high service call.
    Shut the water off to the shower, open up the shower valve and pull the cartridge. Clean out the inlet ports and before you put the valve back together turn the water back on for a minuteto flush out the supplies and valve body.
    As for the toilet. Shut the water off and unscrew the three top screws and lift the float ball and stem assembly. Now turn the water back on to flush the supply. If you have a weak stream then run a wire down the open ballcock to break up any crud that may be blocking the flow.
    Good luck, Tom
    jonnyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Thanks for your quick reply. The toilet ,etc . Are actually fine. It is just the shower. I will try what you said.

Jon
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2005, 09:22 AM
    Jon,

You might also check the shower head and remove the water saver and if the hand held has screens you might check them also. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure at the shower/tub [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I have a serious problem in one of my bathrooms. The cold water pressure of the shower/tub is fine. But when I turned the knob towards the hot, the pressure drops all of a sudden, too low to take a hot shower. The sink 3 feet away has both excellent hot and cold water pressure. I suspect...

No Hot Water or Pressure in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stand-up shower in my basement that was put in about 3-4 years ago. I went to use it for the first time yesterday and the water only trickles out when turned to hot (works fine on cold). It is a single knob Moen system with no faucet, only a shower head. All other outlets in the house...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the...

Shower water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Master bath, separate shower has little to no hot water pressure. We have drained hot water heater for any clogged sediment and still nothing. House is 3 years old, what could be the problem? All other faucets in home are working fine. Very Curious

View more questions Search