Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinnyBug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I'm having a baby and my dog already thinks she's my baby!
    Hi! I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a questions. I have two dogs. An 8 month old St. Bernard female named Moose and a 1 & 1/2 yeard old Samyoed male name Buckie.

I just recently found out I was pregnant and have started to get really worried. Buckie is VERY attached to Moose but Moose is VERY attached to me. I'm just really worried that when the baby come in July, Moose will be agitated with the amount of attention I'm giving to the baby.

I know that Saint Bernards are really very docile dogs, but with her being so big I'm just worried about her trying to climb on me for attention or something with my having the baby.

Any suggestions on how to get her ready for when my baby comes?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Generally large breeds tend to accept babies easily. You will probably want to be sure to monitor their reactions to the baby for a while. You might be really surprised how protective they both become of the new one. Any signs of aggression should be thought of as a real problem, and dealt with accordingly. Also it might be a good idea to work on moving the dogs away from being your babies.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 04:35 PM
    How things go will depend largely on what sort of leadership you are giving them. If you and your husband need to establish yourselves as the leaders, at least you have sometime to work on it. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss There is a link there to a page on dogs and children. Read it now, and review it closer to when the baby comes.

My daughter just had a baby in September. She grew up as the official puppy raiser for our first 5 dog guide puppies. Since they have been married, they have raised 3 more puppies together. Their little terrier mix has adjusted well with their strong dog skills.

If the dogs see you as leader, you don't need to do much else. If they don't, it won't make much difference what you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Baby [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 12 years, well a year and a half ago we quit using birthcontrol and decided we would leave it up devine intervention. My birthday is July 15, 1973 and my husbands is July 2, 1973. Can anyone tell me if they see anything in the future as far having children?

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Lose of 1 baby boy & 2 baby girls [ 4 Answers ]

I have meet a lady on myspace and she has lost 3 kids a little boy and a set of twin girls the boy was about 2 years ago he only lived a couple of hours and the twins one lived 3 days and the other only an hour. What can I do to help her through this time? I just feel so sorry for her. Two years...

I Want To Have A Baby [ 27 Answers ]

Hi, Im 20 yrs old and my fiancé and I desperatley want to have a baby. I was pregnant about 5 months. Ago but I let my mother pressure me into abortion. I have very irregular periods. My last period was Mar. 1 but it only lasted about 4 days (usually my periods are about 7) When is the right...

View more questions Search