Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsmark Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 08:18 PM
    Water central heating system loses pressure
    The central heating system in my 50 year old home seems to be losing water pressure. We thought it might be due to some pipes that were running in a concrete slab and had leaked. We bypassed that, but now the pressure is still not holding. We see no leaks anywhere. Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Are you having to add water? Is the system set up to automatically add water? If so shut it off and see if you lose water. If so. You have a leak, and must track it down. Otherwise look at the pump. It may be getting old and the impeller corroded away. Any control valves may not be working correctly. Look over the system and post back with what you find.

Dec 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
    What is the correct pressure (psi)? I have a split level, the furnace is in the basement, the top floor begins at 12 feet above that. When I add water the psi goes up to 20. It then drops within 12 hours to 10psi. I believe that air is getting into the system because some of the radiators get cold. When I add water and watch the meter go back to 20psi those radiators work again. If this is due to a water leak, I have no idea where that might be. I don't see any sign of one.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
    If you are having to add water, it is going somewhere. It could be going out a vent or overflow somewhere. Walk around the house looking for a pipe where water has flowed out. Also check inside for a pipe going from the heating system to a drain. Once you find where the water is going, then you can start trying to figure out how to fix it.

Dec 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
    I think I found it. I started opening up radiator covers. I found one (on the top floor) where the pressure valve is leaking water. Looks like it's been doing that for years, it's all rusty. Could this be the whole problem?
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
    You can hope so. Fix the known problem, and observe. I would think a very bad long term leak would have caused other problems. Plaster doesn't stand water very well. If it is just leaking a little around the stem, you may get away with tightening the packing nut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heating system [ 3 Answers ]

Thans for your help in adavance, I have a hot water heating system boiler with a red pump at the side of the boiler. I would like to know does the pump pushes the water through the System.or pull the water back to the boiler.:rolleyes:

Recommended heating system pressure [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, We have a natural gas fired boiler/furnace/whatever-it's-called heating system (i.e. I don't know the exact technical term for this machine. I do know that it boils water only for the heating system - we have a separate water heater for regular hot water use). The system supposed to heat...

Water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new home (2800 sf each level main and basement) and will be doing a manifold distribution system with PEX piping. With the length of the house, I was planning on a two water heater system. Both 50 gal electric plumbed in tandem. If this seems feasible, would I just supply the...

Add heating system to central air [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to add some kind of heating system to my existing central air. We did some remodeling last year and added central air. We have hot water / baseboard heating but it doesn't seem to be enough. I was wondering how big of a deal it would be to add some kind of...

Blocked central heating hot water pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help me out. A brief senario: the hot water comes out of the boiler and then goes through a pump. After this it get split up 2 ways (1) to the radiators which are hot, working and not the problem. (2) The problem path is through a hot water to water heat exchanger tank...

View more questions Search