Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roel318 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 02:04 AM
    Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet
    Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped again.. what should I do? Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 03:43 AM
    If the GFI only trips with the xmas lights plugged in, then there is a problem in the sting of lights and need to be replaced.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 06:41 AM
    If the hot wire of the string, has a path to electrical ground it will trip. If several strings, separate and see if it reveals string touching "Ground".
    roel318 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Thank you for your responses. Will give suggestions a try and let you know what happens... thx again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

110 outlet stops working, NOT tripping any circuit breaker. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 outlet three feet from a 110 outlet. When I am using a clothes washer on the 110, it goes dead after a while (10-30 minutes). No breaker is tripped. When I turn on the 220 clothes dryer, the 110 washer restarts from where it left off.

GFCI Outlet and Related Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet that is connected to a 15 amp outside breaker. When using electrical items on the circuit, my outside breaker is tripping without the inside GFCI breakers tripping. I am wondering whether the outside breaker is faulty or should be 20 amps. It doesn't make sense to me...

Gfci outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that...

3 Questions about updating to a GFCI outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently attempted to update a basic 3-prong outlet to a GFCI outlet (so that I could connect a do-it-yourself, low-voltage, exterior lighting kit to this outlet). It seemed to work for the most part, but I have three issues of concern. 1) The breaker for this circuit (and this outlet seems...

Outdoor outlet blown [ 1 Answers ]

Last week we had a steady rain, it caused my outdoor xmas lights to shut off. The lights work in any other outlet in and out of the house but not in the one intended to. I have reset all the breakers in the main box and there is no GFI that I can find associated with the one outdoor outlet I want...

View more questions Search