Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bernard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 07:21 PM
    Furnace will not shut off
    I have a 20+ year old Coleman furnace with AC. The White Rogers thermostat has four wires connected, RC, W, G, Y. There in no jumber from RC to RH. There is a blue wire embeded in the wall but is not connected on either end. The AC worked great in hot weather. The problem now is that when the pilot light was lit and the manual switch turned on the gas valve activates and the furnace fires up and then the limit allows the blower to come on. The furnace runs smooth and heats very well, but it cannot be shut off from the thermostat. I have to kill the power at the switch or the breaker. The gas valve has a red wire running from the thermostat and a white wire from the thermostat. These wires have 24 volts continuously regardless of the thermostat. The valve is obvioulsy hot wired and wired incorrectly. There is no circuit board on this Coleman in the attic. It has a 24 volt transformer with 3 amp fuze and blower relay.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 08:02 PM
    The gas valve should have a white wire from the thermostat and a blue wire from the transformer. The white wire should be connected to the red wire from the transformer at the thermostat when it is calling for heat. Most of the thermostats need the RC and RH both connected to the red wire. Some also need a B or C terminal connected to the other side of the transformer by the blue wire. Connect things up this way, and if it doesn't work, post back. A week ago, there were several similar questions with a honeywell thermostat. I couldn't figure out the problem. The thermostats can also malfunction if the batteries are low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sprayer won't shut off [ 2 Answers ]

I have a kitchen sink sprayer that will not shut off no matter what I do. I've been having problems with it for awhile, every time I would put it on it would take me a while to get it off but now it won't shut off at all! Please help. Thanks!

A/c fan doesn't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a company install some cellulose insulation in my house. Since then, my air conditioning unit does not shut off until I turn up the temperature button to 80. Is it possible that something could be in the attic coils that makes the fan unit not shut off?

Shut down [ 3 Answers ]

In my windows98 SE system, it is not showing "safe to shut down window" after I install some software or hardware to restart the computer or shut down the computer. It is struck at processing shut down. Please reply.

Shut offs [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a few shut offs.. ball valve type. My question is, do the "lever"s have to be positioned at the top of the valve? Can the be mounted on the side or down... the valves will be installed horizontally.. Thanks.

Shut down [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My computer will not shut down from the start menu. Tom Windows 98 se When I want to shut down I go to start hit The shutdown dot. What I see is screen gets A little checkerboard like and screen changes To the shutdown window saying windows is

View more questions Search