Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 04:03 PM
    Wiring a light switch
    The light currently just has a pull cord and I want a simple wall switch instead. The power runs to the light from the other side of the room. Do I just need to run a wire from the switch to the light and tie it in or have the power come to the switch first and then to the light? How does it tie into the light and current power. I've tried to find a simple diagram of how the wiring works but can't find anything.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 05:46 PM
    For a retro fit, the easiest thing might be run a new cable from the light to where you want the switch. You can use surface mount boxes and conduit that don't look too bad. Remove the black wire from the light, and connect it to the black wire of the new cable. Connect the white wire of the new cable to where the black wire was connected. Then at the switch, connect the black and white wires to the brass screws of the switch. Connect the bare wires at the light, and also to the housing of the light and the green screw on the switch. The bare wires make sure if anything ever goes wrong, the breaker trips and shut the power of before killing somebody or setting the house on fire.

You other alternative would be to cut into the wire that feeds the light, cut the black wire, and connect the 2 ends to the switch. However, the switch and any connections must be in a box that is assessable. The cut wire will be so short it will be hard to work with unless you can pull a little more cable out of the wall. Modern cables are stapled to the stud and difficult to move much. If you house is old enough that it used metal boxes with clamps in the box for the cables, it may be a little easier.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2005, 05:21 AM
    One thing... common practice says not to switch the black. In the light where you are running your switchloop (the wire that runs between the switch and the fixture) you would tie the black from the house side to the white going down to the switch. And the black coming back from the switch to the black on your fixture.

Here is what I am talking about

Also the surfaced mounted methid of wireing that labman was talking about is here WIREMOLD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch capacity [ 8 Answers ]

I recently installed 5 recessed lighting fixtures on the same circuit and all these lights turned off at one time after a few minutes. They did not trip the circuit breaker. I then turned the light switch off for a few minutes and then the lights could be turned on for a few minutes. The light...

Light switch pops [ 6 Answers ]

On occasion, I will turn on a light switch and it will make a slight pop (not loud at all but you can hear it). It doesn't happen all the time, actually it doesn't happen all that often. What causes this? Just curious if this is normal or if its something to be concerned about. Thanks!

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

Add extra light to one switch (UK) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light switched with a normal one way light switch and want to loop in an extra light from the same switch. Do I just omit a switch wire on the extra lights rose after it's added to the circuit or must I loop it in slightly different?

View more questions Search