Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbiehomeowner Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Dec 9, 2005, 03:56 PM
    MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same?
    97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light
    Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it didn't help! Doesn't idle smooth at all... Runs waaayyy rich... black smoke and all... Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Happy Holidays
    Neil

Jan 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Problem solved
    I met a factory trained, 14 yr Nissan veteran, who informed me of a Tech bulletin on that yr truck. The problem stems from a place in the main wiring harness , close to the firewall, past the valve cover, where the harness makes a 90 degree bend and under the sheathing there are 4 wires that go into one wire. There is a cold solder joint at that spot which, when re-soldered, will cure the intermittent problem of the mass.. or volume air circuit... hope it helps 'yall..
    starchild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 11:27 PM
    Locating a cheap mass airflow sensor
    My mechanic said I needed a mass airflow sensor, I have no Idea what he's talking about, but can not find this anywhere other than the dealer. Its for a 97 Nissan Pickup, automatic, 2 wheel drive. If anyone can help me I would really really appreciate it. Thank you

Jan 22, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Nissan Dealers -Parts
    Good luck with the Mass Airflow Sensor. They do not sell them without selling you the throttle body of the injection system as well which carries a price at my local dealership of around 425 bucks. The kikker is, that if the service engine soon light is being displayed on the dash, sometimes the code that is stored in memory will be the mass airflow circuit... not the mass airflow sensor itself. So after you throw away the 425 bucks, the problem may persist. Mine is the circuit, and my search of failed components led to the little connector coming from the wiring harness which they do not sell without a complete wiring harness which carries a price tag of about 1200 bucks... Short of soldering the wires directly to the sensor, which may result in heat damage to the sensor, I am getting less than 10 mpg till I figure out a solution. If there is any consolation, my 97 2wd automatic runs just fine on the cold mornings we have been having here in Florida lately... My next truck will be a TOYOTA... (they probably play the same parts games as Nissan though! )
    starchild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:59 AM
    A friend who works at nissan said they had 38 of these pieces... and threw them in the trash!! They were told not to hold parts for a long period, I asked him if they saw them as fruit or meat and that they would go bad if they sat out. Needless to say though I guess Im going to have to cut a kidney out and pay for this piece. I've thought about getting a Toyota also but after this experience with nissan and their parts I may just get a bicycle.

Jan 29, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Polished up the old '97 - Trading for a Toyota - 03 - Tacoma - 4cyl - 2wd - xtracab - Done with Nissan!!
    n8ander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
    You'll love your tacoma
    Brian85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
    I have a Mass air circuit problem on a 97 Nissan pickup how do I fix it
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 03:59 AM
    First, try cleaning the MAF Sensor with MAF Sensor cleaner--allow to dry for 45 minutes. If the problem persists, replace the MAF Sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge Ram Oxy sensor [ 3 Answers ]

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, 318 with Auto. My problem is that the check engine light keeps coming on, the trouble code is P0138 which should be the after Cat Oxy sensor. It is an intermitant problem that seems to happen more when it is wet. I have checked the wiring and can't seem to find any...

VW Beetle Knock Sensor 1 [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to locate the Knock Sensor 1 on my 2001 VW Beetle 1.8L AWV. The service manual shows it is on the left hand side of the Intake Manifold, but I don’t see it. The emissions test failed due to: On-Board Diagnostic Codes Read - 1 P0327 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input (Bank 1...

Coolant Temperature Sensor [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace the coolant temperature sensor on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, 6 cyl, 2WD. Can anyone tell me where on the engine to look to find this component? Randy

Sensor light [ 5 Answers ]

I have an '87 nissan sentra and the sensor light is on , what should I do? The car is also idled too high how do I fix that and it also burns a lot of gas?

View more questions Search