Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PShannon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Head of Household
    I remarried last year but I provide ALL of the expenses of my household. My spouse does work but it is my income that pays all the bills, and the upkeep of the home. Can I still file as Head of Household?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
    If you are married, your filing status can only be Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately unless you did not live with your wife for last 6 months and meet certain conditions.
    If you have income and your spouse does not have income or has a very little income, then it is better to file as Married Filing Jointly. If both of you have almost equal income, then it won't make much difference. Also may credits and deductions are not available if you file Married Filing Separately. So normally you should file as Married Filing Jointly, unless there is a compelling reason to file otherwise.

As Married Filing Jointly, you get one extra exemption deduction of $3,400 and one extra standard deduction of $5,350. Thus your total deductions (if you don't itemize) are $17,500
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Filing HoH is NOT a option for you In my opinion.

MukatA's points are accurate and well-spoken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of Head of Household [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper definition of 'head of household'? Are you the 'head of household' if you are single with no dependants and working one job?

Head of Household [ 3 Answers ]

I have two clients who are partners. They each live in the same house, both on title, and both on the mortgage. Also, they have a rental property together. One of the partners has two children and wants to file head of household with two dependents. The HOH requirement is that the taxpayer...

Filing Head of Household, dependants? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the stipulation to file head of household, and I am full time student, with two daughters, the home is in jacks name and he makes the payments, I contribute no income. Can you claim the three of us?

Head of Household [ 1 Answers ]

Who can claim as "Head of Household".

Head of the household status [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house in Jan 2006 as primary residence. My brother also lives there, but he doesn't pay any rent or expenses (not even for food). I was wondering if I could claim 'head of the household' status based on him? I claimed it last year when we lived in apartment, but he didn't work for the...

View more questions Search