Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 9, 2005, 01:46 PM
    Book Recommendation
    I just finished reading Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I think its one of the most important books I have ever read in my lifetime (and I'm an avid reader). I would strongly urge everyone to run out and get a copy (its in paperback or at your local library) and read it immediately.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 9, 2005, 04:12 PM
    If your not skeptical about online shopping you can also get it at amazon.com look up michael crichton on the web too. I don't know if I can get into it but ill try. Its been along time since a book has really impressed me.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2005, 07:51 AM
    Master of Disaster
    Hi,
    http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/fcrichton.asp

Above is a link to a review of this book. From the review, it seems that the best it can do is to point out a fact that most already know: Global warming is real and the question is; What to do about it.
    All his research is well known, with nothing new; as the review points out.
    Thanks for mentioning the book, but "no thanks" on reading it.
    Nothing will change until the Congress of the USA, and other countries' governments, decide something needs changing, and as usual by then, it might me too little, too late.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Crighton is just awesome. He's been my favorite fiction author since I first read Andromeda Strain as a kid.

I'm a rabid science geek - so just love his application of real science to his novels.

I'd call him an author on the level of genius.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 09:32 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation - I like that kind of stuff. Currently reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, it's old sci-fi but very good as I had not read it yet.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Hi,

Above is a link to a review of this book. From the review, it seems that the best it can do is to point out a fact that most already know: Global warming is real and the question is; What to do about it.
    Nothing will change until the Congress of the USA, and other countries' governments, decide something needs changing, and as usual by then, it might me too little, too late.
    Interesting, Fred. You're choosing not to read a book because you've read a very biased review by an organization that has a lot to lose if Crichton's theory is true. It's almost funny because you are reacting exactly like the "unenlightened" characters in the book. I read the book when it first came out in hardcover and it is excellent, whether you choose to believe his theories or not. You're missing out on a great read.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Books
    Hi,
    I do "miss out" on "great" ones. The "greatness" of a book is determined by how many copies it sells!
    No, I won't go out of my way to read it.
    But, as a side comment, an international conference ended (I think yesterday) in regards to Global Warming, with the first very positive decisions made on steps to reduce particles being emitted into our air, worldwide.
    Other countries have "signed on" to it, and, not surprising, the United States is very hesitant about the whole thing, not wanting to "upset" our economy by cutting back on certain emissions, such as vehicle emissions, which is the number one offender of pollution.
    This is the first positive action taken on a worldwide scale. To me, that's much more important than a book. But, the book is what the thread is all about. Thanks for the suggestion, but all the research done in the book is based on "known knowledge". And no, I didn't post my first post on this review alone. There are many, many, many reviews on the web!

Dec 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,

I was very shocked while reading this book. Like most people I believed that global warming was scientitifc fact. I was even skeptical about Crichton's statisitics. So I did some research on my own. I checked several of the references he gives in the book and EVERY reference I checked was factual. I didn't just accept Crichton's viewpoint as expressed in this book, but I checked it out. There are some extremely interested points that he makes. One of the most telling was that the ban on DDT has resulted in millions of deaths.

I think the most interesting point in that review was this quote:

Hundreds of scientists -- including from the National Academy of Sciences, the American Geophysical Union and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- have spent years considering the very challenges raised in Crichton's book in the process of coming to a consensus that global warming is underway and caused by humans.

I find it interesting that so many scientists would need to consider these challenges if they are so off.

But one of the most interesting theories put forth in the book have to do with the reason behind its title. I won't discuss it so as not to spoil it for anyone open minded enough to read the book. I will close by saying the main advantage of this book is that it slips dry, boring statiscal data into a good action thriller. It makes learning these facts easier and more palatable.

Dec 11, 2005, 05:46 PM
    Comment on LisaB4657's post
    Excellent! Well put. I cheered reading your response!

Dec 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Thanks for the recommendation - I like that kind of stuff. Currently reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, it's old sci-fi but very good as I had not read it yet.
    I reread Stranger recently from the original, unedited text. I've read it at least twice before. Heinlein was one of, if not the greatest scifi writer. I've read all of his stuff, many of them more than once. The only other writer in his league was Isaac Asimov (a person I had the distinct pleasure of meeting many years ago).
    Skinwhite Posts: 77, Reputation: 6

Dec 23, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation on State of Fear. Sounds interesting, I love books that can combine facts in a thriller format like many of Dan Brown books. I was in the library the other day, and wandering around trying to figure out what would be of interest, since most of the best sellers are always out! I'll look that one up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Software recommendation. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare. My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website. Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover...

Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App [ 13 Answers ]

It must include auto scroll for web pages. I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid. Thanks!

Need a Simple Guestbook Recommendation [ 3 Answers ]

I've been burned before: A site wiped out from my stupidity in not updating the script. I recently installed VIPER Guestbook: I like it's simplicity and features, but now see that it will no longer be updated... so don't want to keep it. Can anyone recommend a simple, secure Guestbook...

Downloading music - Recommendation for safe sites. Will not use much! [ 20 Answers ]

:cool: :) I would like to know if someone can recommend a safe site to download just one song? I will not be using the site much, I just want to get one song off a safe site.Is this possible these days? It might be possible that from time to time I may to use it but that will be rarely. I...

View more questions Search