Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 9, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Getting holiday gifts for persons of other religions
    Okay I know I have made fun of them but I have An aunt, uncle, and three cousins who are Jehovas witnesses. I know they don't celebrate santa and all that stuff. Isn't there some way I can get something for them that won't offend or start a war?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Good question. I have always felt bad about leaving people off my Christmas card list because they were Jewish. How about something like ''In this time of the year, can you accept a reminder of God's love for everyone?''.

I am feeling less and less obligated to hide my faith. Do they hide theirs?
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 9, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Well they never seem to talk about it very much and they are the only Jehovas witnesses I know that don't go door to door annoying people. In fact if you bring it up they get a little snappy and Great Spirit forbid if you get them anysort of holiday gift. The only one of them that seems anywhere near estatic about their faith is my older cousin. I love seeing how here face brightens up when you ask her things even if I don't agree with what they say.I just wonder why they don't celebrate.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 08:24 AM
    The happy holiday thing drives me crazy, I drive a school bus and we are not allowed to decorate the bus any more, we can not say merry Christmas, now we are not even allowed to say happy holidays any more, we have to say enjoy your winter vacation. This makes me unequivocally, unambiguously, insane, sorry this makes me crazy, Now that I am done ranting the people that do not celebrate the same thing as I do like Christmas, I give gift cards to them to let them know I was still thinking of them on my Christian holiday. If I make them mad o well I will do it again next year too, case in point they have never given the gift card back, yea
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2005, 11:04 AM
    Well I'm Jewish, although basically quite non-religious at this point in my life. I don't mind someone saying Merry Christmas to me if they don't know me, but if they do know, I like them to say Happy Hannukah. It's only respectful, as I say Merry Christmas to people and send out Christmas cards to Christian friends. And Hannukah falls on Dec. 26 this year.

Jehovah's Witnesses are hard though... I have a friend who is one. In her family they don't even celebrate birthdays, let alone Christmas or winter holidays. The only thing I can think of is to buy them something and give it to them either early or late, so it doesn't seem like a "Christmas" gift to them. Good luck!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 11:12 AM
    This is a great Season for thinking of others; so since you are thinking of them, send them a "Thinking of You" card.

I should think they would appreciate that any time of the year.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Relatives
    Hi,
    In response to the original question, why send them, or get them, anything.
    They do not celebrate this time of year.
    Since they don't, why would they be wanting, or expecting, anything?
    If you got a Christmas card or some other type of card from them for this particular time of year, then send them one back, of the same type.
    If not, then don't worry about.
    Do they give you presents for Christmas?
    If not, then don't worry about that either.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Offend
    Nope, you may call it a Kawansa present or something ( since that is not religious)

But in general if you have a relationship with them, and they know you always give them something, but if you have not been giving them anything, and they are very strong in their religion, they do not exchange gifts at this time for the year and can be offended if you give them anything. Often the best gift would be to respect their beliefs and not push ours on them.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 01:16 PM
    I agree. They aren't expecting anything, so there is no reason you should.

However, if for some reason you want to, then send them a present out of the blue, not on Christmas, but perhaps a month earlier or a month later.

Or to those of you who have Jewish friends, send them a Hanukkah present and wish them a Happy Hanukkah. Hanukkah usually falls sometime in December.
    robinad Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Feb 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Honestly, I would look at getting some gifts that aren't related to any religious time or date. If you want to give a gift, just give you just because. Don't relate it to a certain day or you might offend them or they might not accept the gift. I would check online for some nice gifts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

Wedding Gifts [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding. Our nephew is marrying a girl from a very wealthy family. While visiting with a cousin, someone mentioned that it is proper wedding ettiquette to give a wedding gift that matches the price per plate at a wedding reception. The cost per plate at...

Fav Holiday Destination [ 17 Answers ]

Ok all, Never started a thread like this and it has probably been done but just thought id ask. What is everyone's favourite holiday destination in the world. Ill start. Im from oz and it is long way to the travel anywhere but I've been lucky enough to do a bit. Mainly Europe and Asia.

View more questions Search