Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2005, 10:29 AM
    Heating Acronyms
    Morning everyone!
    This is a trivial question and doesn't really have to do with my own home, but I was still sure somebody on here would know this. I'm trying to figure out something that's on my Uniform Residential Appraisal Report, under the "TYPE of HEATING" section.

There are three choices for heating:

- FWA
    - HWBB
    - Radiant

Does anybody know what the first two stand for? I hear tell that HWBB means Heated Water BaseBoards... is that true? Any guesses on FWA?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

- james
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 9, 2005, 11:00 AM
    FWA = Forced Warm Air Commonly referred to as a Furnace.

HWBB = Hot Water Base Board
    Radiant is similar to HWBB but it is embedded in something, typically a floor.

Both Radiant and HWBB typically require a Boiler which heats the water, a circulating pump to push the liquid (usually water, but can be glycol or some other stuff) and a Manifold to distribute the heated fluid to any of several zones that are making the call for heat.

WIRSBO is a big name in making the piping for radiant heat. It is commonly referred to as PEX.

FWA is the easiest to add A/C as it will share the same ductwork.

If you want to add A/C and you have the other systems, then you will have to install a forced air distribution system (blower and ductwork) or use a self contained unit like Window or Wall units. Another option would be to use a split system which has a small blower and condenser unit in the room and a compressor unit outside.

Hope this helps, Dan
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2005, 11:17 AM
    Thanks!
    Super, thank you!

A quick follow-up question: I have a forced-air heating system. If I wanted to add A/C later, could I use the same return ducting, even though the registers are all at floor level?

Actually what I should ask is: is it typical to do so, or do people run other ducts that would output cool air from the tops of rooms, theoretically creating a more even cooling system?

What I'm more likely to do is add a simple in-window A/C, since it doesn't get very hot here. But if I "could" use all the same ductwork, at least I'd know that was an option. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Some houses seem to get by with all the returns at the floor. Mine compromises with at the floor downstairs and at the ceiling upstairs. The A/C was an add on complete with poor workmanship. I have read what I interpreted as top and bottom returns in the same room, but never seen any. Easy enough to do. Most returns use the wall cavity between two studs and no duct. Just chop another hole at the top and instal grates that can be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Basement heating [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is feasible to use an existing water heater to supply some baseboard or fan coil heating in my basement. It currently is used only to heat domestic water. The water heater is electric, and it is 80 gallons. My heating system is heat pump, and the main living quarters,...

Heating and air [ 1 Answers ]

How do I rewire a furnace so that the air works the blower

Heating problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have an oil fired heating system in my house with hot water baseboards. Most of the house is heated fine except for the kitchen and 2nd. Bathroom. These rooms or split off the main trunk feed and return lines but my main bathroom on the second floor is also getting it's heat from this line and...

Central Heating [ 8 Answers ]

Im not sure my central heating is working fine. I bought a new home and I have lived there about 2 yrs but I rarely used my central heating (long enough) over this time. Recently I used my central heating long enough (over 3 hrs) and noted that while the heating is good initially, the air looses...

Heating reset [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem when ever I start my central heating after sometime it trips and I have too reset it by pressing the button on the thermostat chamber but after sometime this show red light again i.e it stopped Please help how to fix it and why I have to reset it so many times Thanks

View more questions Search