Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andrew S. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 10:09 AM
    NJ SDI, SUI, Social Security taxes
    For the first time, I will be working as an independent contractor as opposed to an employee. I will live and work in New Jersey. Besides federal and state income taxes, what other taxes will I have to pay and how do I determine the amount, to whom, and when I pay them? I understand I may have to pay SDI, SUI, and social security.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2005, 10:11 AM
    Wow - things work so different in America to the Uk - very interesting. I apolgise I cannot help you out on this one. Just find things like this really interesting.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 08:24 AM
    Andrew S:

If you are an independent contractor, you will receive a Form 1099-MISC instead of a W-2.

You are responsible for paying income taxes and both sides of the Social Security (12.3%) and Medicare (2.9%) taxes.

You will need to file Form 1040 with Schedule C (to report your Form 1099-MISC income and all your allowable expenses) and Schedule SE (to report the Social Security and Medicare taxes).

You will also owe NJ state income taxes.

I suspect you will also owe SDI and SUI taxes, but since I do not practice in NJ and do employment taxes for residents of that state, I am not thoroughly familiar with that aspect of the NJ taxes.

No matter, because your situation absolutely screams for professional tax help. I suggest you contact a local NJ-based tax professional immediately (before the end of the year) before they get too busy to help you properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social Security Taxes - OPT - H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian Student on F1-OPT till December 18,2006 while my H1 starts on Oct 1,2006. I am not paying any social security taxes. The question I have is do I need to start paying the social security taxes from oct 1 onward or can I continue till Dec 18,2006 without paying social security and after...

Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Currently, I work for a company in my OPT. But somehow I know my employee should not deduct my Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, the problem is that I just can't figure out which publication and where of the IRS noticed that. I checked the former thread that the tax expert mentioned...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

View more questions Search