Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetkendra Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Adjusting Entries
    How would I Journalize and post the adjusting entries, using the following adjustment data:

a. Merchandise inventory on August 31 $124,115

b. Insurance expired during the year $1,250

c. Store supplies on hand on August 31 $975

d. Depreciation for the current year $7,400

e. Accrued salaries on August 31:

Sales Salaries $350
    Office Salaries $180 $530
    Gator1087 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
    a. You would have to know what the inventory was at the beginning of the period and purchases made during the year. If it gives it to you, you would do:
    beginning inventory+purchases-ending inventory(124,115)=Cost of goods sold
    you would debit cost of goods sold and credit inventory. Otherwise no entry would be needed.

b. Assuming you recorded it as prepaid insurance during the year (an asset) you would debit prepaid insurance for 1,250 and credit insurance expense.
    prepaid insurance dr 1,250
    insurance expense cr 1,250

c. Same as part a except instead of Cost of goods sold use operating expense or supplies expense and credit supplies

d. Depreciation expense dr 7,400
    accumulated depreciation cr 7,400

e. You can either account for all the salaries together or individually. Either make the following entry 3 times with each of the three amounts or add them all up and make one entry.
    wage expense dr 350
    wages payable cr 350

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting Entries and Closing Entries [ 6 Answers ]

The Flash Pan Company manufactures cooking products. On August 1, 2007, the company borrowed $125,000 from creditors. Semiannual interest payments of $7,500 are to be made to creditors beginning January 31, 2008. On July 1, 2007, the company purchased a 1-year insurance policy for $10,000 and...

Adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

I should know this but I'm hoping you can confirm my entries. If I had to journalize a Receipt of $5100 for services to be performed in the future during the month of January, would the following entry be correct? Cash $5100 Unearned Revenue ...

Adjusting entries a [ 1 Answers ]

Journalize the adjusting entries at August 31, 2006 On August 25, a local business contracted with doon cove to rent one of the cottages for six months, starting October 1 at a rate of 1,400 per month. An advane payment equal to two months rent to be paid on September 5

Adjusting entries [ 3 Answers ]

How to adjust these entries Journalize at August 31, 2006 1. Salaries accrued to the end of August were $1,400 2. The August utility bill of $1,500 is unrecorded and unpaid 3. mortgage interest rate is 7% per year. Interest has been paid to July 31, 2006

View more questions Search