Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theiguana Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Executor of Estate and distribution
    My father left me 90% of his Estate and his other sibling 10%. I am Executor of his trust as well as beneficiary on his bank accounts. The money he listed in his trust are not the same as his accounts. Is the other sibling only entitled to the amounts shown in his trust or by me being the beneficiary are the entitled to anything at all ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 08:37 PM
    It is all in the wording of the will. Often bank accounts change for the funding of the trusts.

Dec 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It is all in the wording of the will. often bank accounts change for the funding of the trusts.

The wording is very basic.
    It list savings account (approx. value $**,***.**)
    Checking account (approx. value $**,***.**)
    auto
    truck
    household goods

I am also on the deed , would that chance the distribution?

The value in the accounts are different than is listed in trust.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
    The trust document ought to be very clear as to who the beneficiaries are of what assets. If it lists approximate values of accounts, this seems to me to be simply a technique to help you as trustee figure out which accounts your father meant. So, for example, if the sibling is to get 10% of a savings account shown as "approx $5,000," then even if the actual value of the account is now $7,500 I think the sibling is entitled to 10% of the $7,500.

As for your being named on the deed - do you mean you are listed as a co-owner of your father's house? Then depending on the term in the deed, you may or not now be the full owner - if the deed lists you as "joint tenant with right of survivorship," that means the house is yours as the survivor, independent of what his will may say. So please tell us the wording on the deed and we can help you sort this out.

Also, you didn't mention a will - did your father leave one? If he has any assets that were not specifically titled as part of his trust, then they pass to the heirs via the will, not the trust.

Dec 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
    On one Bank Account my father named me beneficiary back in the eighties when my mom died , on the other account I am named joint with right of survivorship. Doesn't this then protect me from having to include these asset's in the trust ? I am shown on the Deed with my dad , doesn't say anything about joint tenant or survivorship and yes he had a trust.

Thank-you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I hate it when families start fighting over money at the death of a parent.

If the intent of the will was for one perosn to get 90 percent and the other 10 percent, then that is what should happen,

Being beneficiary on a bank account, still puts it in the estate normally, being listed as joint right normally keeps it out of the estate.

And if the will says one person was to get 10 percent, then they are to get 10 percent of the estate, not merely 10 percent of part of the estate.

Perhaps you should have someone who is not getting part of the money do the role of Executor since if one party is getting money they are dividing, they often try to divide it to their benefit, trying to bend the laws to fit their needs. A estate attoreny to act in that role to divide up the estate would be the best.

Dec 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
    It's not a matter of wanting more money it's about doing what my Dad would want which most families don't talk about until its too late. I also didn't mention the other sibling is in prison. Thanks for your input.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 07:03 AM
    If you are listed as joint tenant with right of survivorship on an account, then by law that account is now yours - it's disposition is not controlled by the will (or trust) but rather by the contactual terms of the account. Same thing with any assets that have beneficiaries specifically named - these are assets that are not probated since the contract terms of the account explicitly states to whom they go. So it sounds like for the two accounts you mention they pass directly and completely to you, and not via the will (or trust).

Dec 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Thank-you ebaines. Very well put. Do you have experience in this area ? Just curious as I have never used this site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate And The Executor of an Estate [ 4 Answers ]

My deceased husband appointed his daughter executor of his estate, which consisted of property, as well as insurance policies designating me as beneficiary. Also, there was a trust fund that was due me at my attainment of a certain age. I relinquished all policies and documentation to my deceased...

No will, No executor, Insolvent estate [ 1 Answers ]

My sister just passed away this May. She was not married and had no children. She did leave behind a lot of credit card debt. The debt is soooo much that we (the sisters and brother) cannot pay for it. There is no executor and no one wants to take on that responsibility for fear of the...

Lawsuit by Executor of Estate [ 5 Answers ]

My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Executor of estate/trust [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away recently. My mother has survived him but she is incapacitated. I am the executor of their estate/trust. It is a sizable estate and I would like to gift funds to my brothers and their families. My father appointed my mother as his power of attorney and never updated it. ...

View more questions Search