Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjeselva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 05:54 PM
    Trane Air Condition circuit breakers trips
    I have a Trane Air Condition that refuses to run more that 10 minutes without tripping the circuit breaker when tempertures are below 32 degs. I read that at low tempertures, more features are needed to keep the heat up. Operation of these features seems to overload the circuit. There must be a set temperature at which the features kick in. Mine seems to kick in at approx. 32 degs. I would like to know if there is any way to change or lower this activation point. (say, to 20 degs) I am looking for a way to correct this problem other than installing a heavier circuit breaker. Thanks for any assistance.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 8, 2005, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeselva
    I have a Trane Air Condition that refuses to run more that 10 minutes without tripping the circuit breaker when tempertures are below 32 degs. I read that at low tempertures, more features are needed to keep the heat up. Operation of these features seems to overload the circuit. There must be a set temperture at which the features kick in. Mine seems to kick in at approx. 32 degs. I would like to know if there is any way to change or lower this activation point. (say, to 20 degs) I am looking for a way to correct this problem other than installing a heavier circuit breaker. Thanks for any assistance.
    Please provide more detail... ex what type of heater do you have (( electric element... heat pump+ element combo... gas furnace))?. yours sound like aheat pump... heat pump don't work very well when outside air temperature approach 32F( shouldnot be working at 32F) and that is when your supplement electric heater element come on
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 07:05 PM
    You need to fix what is wrong, not try to cobble something up. Depending on the wire size, a heavier breaker may not be an option. If your system is wired with #10 wire and you already have a 30 amp breaker, that is the heaviest that can safely be used. If your high rate or auxiliary heat has a problem that trips a 30 amp breaker, it might trip a 40 amp breaker too before the wire overheats.

Above 32 degrees, does your system depend on the outside compressor for heat? If so, it may switch to a higher compressor speed or resistance heat below 32 degrees. If the system never worked right and is fairly new, it is a matter for whoever installed it or sold you the house to fix. If you have put up with it that way for a while, you may have stuck yourself with the expense of making it work right.

One easy out would be if the breaker itself is bad. They can start tripping when they shouldn't when they get old. Unfortunately changing it means pulling the cover of breaker box and exposing the incoming power feed. That is very near the point where I say call a professional.

From there, you could poke around and look for a wire that is obviously out of place, bare metal touching the housing of the system. If you don't find anything obvious, you may have to call in somebody with an ohmmeter and ammeter to find out what is drawing how much power, and replace whatever is bad.

I certainly can't tell you how to readjust the system. Even if you could do it, the lower rate of heating might not be able to keep the house warm much below 32 degrees. You might only manage to get yourself into the coldest part of the year and not have enough heat.

I see other people saying call a technician when I figure it is something I can help fix. There are times you must give up and call for help.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 9, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    You need to fix what is wrong, not try to cobble something up. Depending on the wire size, a heavier breaker may not be an option. If your system is wired with #10 wire and you already have a 30 amp breaker, that is the heaviest that can safely be used. If your high rate or auxiliary heat has a problem that trips a 30 amp breaker, it might trip a 40 amp breaker too before the wire overheats.

Above 32 degrees, does your system depend on the outside compressor for heat? If so, it may switch to a higher compressor speed or resistance heat below 32 degrees. If the system never worked right and is fairly new, it is a matter for whoever installed it or sold you the house to fix. If you have put up with it that way for a while, you may have stuck yourself with the expense of making it work right.

One easy out would be if the breaker itself is bad. They can start tripping when they shouldn't when they get old. Unfortunately changing it means pulling the cover of breaker box and exposing the incoming power feed. That is very near the point where I say call a professional.

From there, you could poke around and look for a wire that is obviously out of place, bare metal touching the housing of the system. If you don't find anything obvious, you may have to call in somebody with an ohmmeter and ammeter to find out what is drawing how much power, and replace whatever is bad.

I certainly can't tell you how to readjust the system. Even if you could do it, the lower rate of heating might not be able to keep the house warm much below 32 degrees. You might only manage to get yourself into the coldest part of the year and not have enough heat.

I see other people saying call a technician when I figure it is something I can help fix. There are times you must give up and call for help.
    Also.. in resitance heater... if the return air is restrict ( not enough air flow) it may overheat and ((** before the hi-temp cutout kick in)) trip off the breakerS...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 03:41 PM
    The circuit breaker should be sized to the unit. That information is listed on the outside section OR in your instillation instructions that should have been left on the job. If your heat pump is blowing the breaker after 10 minutes of operation it could be SLUG back of the refrigerant to the compressor putting a extra losd on the outside unit. If this is the case you will need to call a pro to fix it.
    smsatt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
    I have a trane air handler with electric heat and every time my heat cuts off it trips my breaker?
    smsatt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
    I have a trane air handler with electric heat and every time my heat cuts off it trips my breaker?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smsatt View Post
    i have a trane air handler with electric heat and every time my heat cuts off it trips my breaker?
    Does the breaker become very warm/hot to the touch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air condition [ 3 Answers ]

OK I live in a mobile home in Oklahoma its been 100 pluse here last couple weeks and I noticed the other day my unit way making a scretching sound everyonece in a while then today it was a long scretching that didn't stop so I felt the air vent and it was blowing hot air so turned the unit off......

Kenmore Stove Trips 50 AMP Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

1 Year old Kenmore Stove, Flat Top keeps tripping my 50 AMP circuit breaker. This stove has worked without problem for 1 year without any problems. What confuses me is that the circuit breaker is tripped whether I use the range, the oven, or both at the same time. Could the breaker be bad? To...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search