Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mar68garet Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Salary for Live-in aide
    My mother is 90, lives in New York and currently her live-in aide receives about $550 per week. Is that a good amount (including room, board)? Should she receive a raise each year and how much? She is given extra money for Christmas and birthday. I would appreciate your answers and thanking you in advance...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
    I do in-home care and I would say that is a very good amount - the aide is given room and board also. Is the aide given any days off during the week? Provided with any insurance or benefits? Given the use of a vehicle?

About the raises - I would say that is negotiable, if you are pleased with her work for your Mother, then yes. What is an average cost of living raise? 4%? Some employers do not give even that. Also, if the aide's job description were to change, to reflect the needs of your Mother (as in increased care), then you can adjust the salary.

Dec 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Hi - thank you for your reply. Yes, she gets 3 days off every 3 weeks. She has no license to drive and has available NY city transportation.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
    It sounds like a good deal to me. Is this aide complaining about anything? I can understand not driving in NYC. I did it once - lol. But then I am an out of stater and that was way too large a place for me to navigate. Public transit would be a good way to travel.

Oh, who does the grocery shopping and errands for your Mom? Is that part of the aide's job description?

Dec 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Hi - thanks again for your reply. The neighbor drive the aide to the grocery store.

Dec 3, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Hi - I am having trouble with the computer with where to answer and what buttons to push. Ha. Anyway, the neighbor drives my mother to the grocery store and the neighbor also takes her to various other places when needed.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 03:17 PM
    It sounds like a very good situation. Does your Mother then pay the Social Security and worker's compensation or is the aide considered self employed and responsible for her own Social Security and taxes, and such?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Well I will say this may not be as good as it sounds, it is basically 6 days a week, with how many hours a day, and what area is this in.
    Is as noted their unemployment taxes paid, are taxes with held, if not she legally has to pay her own taxes which would include self employment taxes so 33 percent of this would go to taxes. Does the aid have health insurance provided ?

If this is in New York city, most likely it is not much, if this is rual TN or Alabama it may not be that bad.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 03:41 PM
    But she gets room and board - that is worth more in NY than some places. But I understand what you are saying - after subtracting the 33% for self employment tax, she makes a little more than $1600.00 a month.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    But she gets room and board - that is worth more in NY than some places. But I understand what you are saying - after subtracting the 33% for self employment tax, she makes a little more than $1600.00 a month.
    As mentioned, compared to most of the country everything is more expensive in N. Y.

Seriously, when you consider that she is there and "working" 24/6 her income per hour is probably below acceptable wage. Room and board are nice however please remember that the trade off is she is "available" for your 90 year old mother at night also. Technically that is 144 hours per week. Now I know someone in the Chicago area that does this for 6 1/2 days per week, room and board, the lady is 93 and she needs help and constant care. I believe her salary is $650.00 to $700.00 per week. Good, competent. Dependable and caring people that do this type of work are valued and worth it.
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 05:41 AM
    We don't know the level of care - light, moderate, or more. Also, we do not know if the aide is 'clocked out" at (for example) 10:00 pm. We can assume she is not or we assume she is.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 06:26 AM
    You are correct Shygrneyzs, I made assumptions, I apologize.

However I would like to know if they are true, the mother is 90 years old. And unless some special arrangements have been made I can't see where she wouldn't have responsibility after hours (10pm). Generally a 90 year old person is rather dependent on having some one aid them, in general ways, and some semi medical ways.

Mar68garet, please advise, does this care person have round the clock responsibility while she is there? Even if this means she has to be there to respond?
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
    I have several in home care clients that are close to 90 and two that are in their 90's - all they need is some basic help for a couple hours day.

There are a few things we do not know here, I agree with you, Stringer. The level of care for one. If this is semi skilled care, then the rate shouls adjust to reflect that. If it is basic companionship type care then the wages are not that bad. We also do not know if the aide is responsible for all the cooking and cleaning, laundry, any medication administration. Or if the woman requires any use of adaptive devices, such as a walker or a wheelchair, or any other concern like that. We also do not know if the aide is responsible for her own phone and cable. Might be a small consideration but it does add up.

Dec 4, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Thank you all for your answers. I will correct this situation to see that she gets paid more for her excellent services.
    peterhaberman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 04:51 PM
    If the aide wants to use paper products, i.e. paper towels to dry herself after a shower, paper plates and plastic cups because she doesn't want to use the dishes in the house, who is responsible for these costs? The aide is actually self employed working for an agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary for live-in housekeeper [ 8 Answers ]

We have a live-in housekeeper who helps with cooking, cleaning, and childcare. She used to work for my brother-in-law and his family, and we are paying her the same wage as she received from them. I am wondering though if the wage is adequate. I kind of feel like she should get a raise. She's...

Financial aide for convicted felons [ 5 Answers ]

I was convicted of possession of a stolen vehicle and have since became a productive member of society and want to better myself by going to school! Any help would be great!

Financial aide [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I receive aide to survive /to live/im newly out of a state prison

Live in NY work in NJ how do I calculate after tax salary [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I currently received an offer to work in NJ, but I want to live in NY. If my salary was about $54,000 annually how would I calculate my after tax salary per month. Can you please provide an example? Thank you

View more questions Search