Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xvxixcxkxyx Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Learn the guitar.
    I really do want a guitar for christmas. Is it quite easy to learn, will I be able to learn it? I am 12 and VERY interested in one. Any tips or anything I need to know will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
    It's not bad to learn if you have good instruction and are committed to it. If ou can get frequent lessons, you shouldn't have trouble, as long as you are dedicated to practicing. You will also have to learn to play music from guitar tabs, and I suggest familiarizing yourself with sheet music, you should learn to read that too.
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Dec 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I am a guitar player, started at 12 myself. Anyone can learn to play anything, the question is, will it sound good. I have a friend that plays the guitar and drums, but has no sense of rhythm whatsoever. I try to play along with him, and he just can't stay on tempo at all. It is something he enjoys though, and I would suggest playing an instrument to anyone, and would never discourage anyone from doing so, so go for it! Just realize that it may or may not be something that you could do professionally. It is always something you can do for fun though! Who knows, you might make millions of dollars and have millions of fans one day, or you might just play a song for one person and make their day, either way, you can't lose!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Yes, it takes time learn, and some people pick it up faster than otherrs, The best thing you can do is take lessons,and practice every day.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 04:24 AM
    A few things that you will need to consider as far as asking for a guitar for Christmas are: What kind of guitar playing is it that you want to do? If you want to learn in the classical guitar style, that is much harder to learn as compared to learning the guitar while using a pick and just plucking the chords that you might use for popular or folk music. Both styles require the use of a different kind of guitar. One will have steel strings and the other nylon. The techniques for playing either type of guitar are different.

You don't necessarily have to learn how to play guitar tablature to play the guitar. That is a misnomer for you to have to learn how to do that. You may need only to play chord symbols of the music that you will want to play or, you may need to have to learn how to play written music much like a pianist would have to play. You may have to learn how to play tablature or "tabs." But, that really does depend on the type of music that you want to learn how to play.

It would be extremely helpful for you to have lessons on how to play the guitar, depending on what type of playing you want to do on the guitar and subsequent instruction that you will receive in that regard.

Your body as well as the length of your arms as well as the size of your hands needs to be taken into consideration here. Depending on what type of guitar playing it is that you want to do, you will want to find a guitar that is the correct size for you for your age and body development. The fingerboard may be too large for the hand size that you presently have. The body of the guitar may be too big for you at your present size.

Just some thoughts for you to consider. Just getting a guitar for Christmas is not a simple matter in consideration of all the factors that must be considered.

My ultimate suggestion for you would be for you to visit a music store that is selling guitars and speak with the professionals there as far as what your goals and needs are as far as playing the guitar.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Dec 14, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Find a guitar that is easy for you to play - the right size, the right style, easy action - and sounds good. Nylon strings will be easier on your fingers than steel strings. Classical guitars are nylon stringed but the neck is wide. Electric guitars are fast and loud. Different styles of guitar playing use different types of guitars.
    Take lessons. Private lessons are the best. Find a guitar teacher that is knowledgeable, patient, and will teach you to play on time and in rhythm. That is absolutely the most important thing. Don't stay with a teacher that isn't able to teach the rhythm of a song and melody to you. The teacher should be able to teach a song at a slower speed. The best teachers can read, write, and teach musical notation, and guitar tablature.
    You can learn songs without a teacher by using "fake books" and chord charts.
    Find friends to jam with. Learn to play together. Make friends with musicians, especially ones that are patient enough to teach you their songs. Join a beginning band. It's actually easier to play in a band, esp if there are others who already play. No matter how bad you sound in the beginning, just be patient for that first time you groove and you will be hooked. Practicing isn't a chore when you're jamming.
    Persevere. Unless you are a prodigy, it will take a while before you sound good. Not to discourage... but only recently have I become satisfied with my own playing and I started playing 30 years ago. I finally found the groove.
    Practice, practice, never stop practicing...
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 02:51 AM
    I found that guitar was easy to learn yet hard to master.

Don't have anything else to add, as it seems all the salient points have been covered.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 02:57 AM
    I hope that xvxixcxkxyx returns to see answers to the question that was presented. For right now, there has been no activity such as logging onto this site by xvxixcxkxyx since December 3, 2007 at 01:04 P.M.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 03:27 AM
    Oops sorry, I usually check the date!
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 03:32 AM
    I really do hope that xvxixcxkxyx comes back! Because the original question was great! You and I have been here about the same length of time. I know that I have seen it where an original poster has returned to respond to posts a number of months later. Have you also seen this happen, templelane?

Dec 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Hey sorry been busy, no comp for a while thanks for the answers very helpful :D
    Xx

Dec 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
    You are welcome for the answers! Thank you for returning to the site!
    sjohnsmith Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 07:55 PM

Learning guitar is easy,what you need is just a tip

Different ways to learn guitar through lessons | Guitar Learning Blog
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 11:29 PM
    For those of you who keep posting on this thread, please realize that it's a really old thread that is now archived and not generally visible, unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area where it's located.

If you have a new question that's not in some way, an answer to the very first question at the top of the page, I would strongly suggest that you start a new thread with your new question.

Thanks!
    jaysay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
    OHOhoh I find a good website http://www.top-guitar-lessons-dvd.com/reviews/learn-and-master-guitar/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

I want to learn how to sweep pick on the guitar [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: I want to learn how to do this technique on the giutar because there's a song called canon rock and a lot of other songs I would like to play but I need to learn how to sweep pick.:)

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

Guitar chord [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone knows the guitar chords to Lips of an Angel by Hinder? :confused: I'm trying hard to learn the song by ear, so if anyone knows the chords, PLLLLEEEEZZZZ help me out on this? :D

Acoustic guitar [ 3 Answers ]

Helloooo Does anyone know any good acoustic guitars that are good for beginners but aren't too pricey?

View more questions Search