Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coastie203 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Replacing garage Door with a wall
    I am remodeling my attached garage using a contractor (Bob) for the work. Bob replaced the 16 foot door with a wall that will contain a window and 36" wide door, using two pressure treated 2x6x16s for the sill of the wall, placing them directly on the garage floor.

Using a caulking gun, Bob applied an adhesive to the base of the wall for sealing out the weather. However, the sealant leaked and a significant amount of water entered into the interior from under the wall. His remedy was to cover the outside of the sill plate with tar which has worked for now in sealing out the water. I know that the tar will deteriorate over time and I am not happy with his solution. I want him to remove the wall and build a stem wall with concrete or use concrete block. The threshold of the door is 16" from the floor, so this will not interfere with it. Bob is not happy with my recommendation and states that the block or concrete will crack when the wall shifts and is pressuring me to allow him to finish the job and pay him what I currently owe.

I intend to hold my position on this, especially since the job is not completed but I would like another opinion to bolster my stance. If there is a better solution, I am open to it. By the way, I live in western NY so weather is an issue.

I appreciate your response.

Jackie
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 4, 2007, 07:29 PM
    All I can tell you is yes idealy having a foundation of a few brick or cinder block would have been ideal, and definitely more water proof, what he has done I've seen done before and I've seen it work much longer than what his did.

He can try and install flashing on the exterior with a pressure bend again the concrete, but this will only work properly if the floor is level.
    As for an other options the addition of the row of brick or 1 row of block will be the best method for a (fix)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace garage door with wall? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a small one car garage that is part of the basement. I want to remove the garage door and put in a wall with a door so that I can use this area as a workshop and as the primary entrance into the house during the winter. The other entrances are either up the steep driveway to the...

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Widening garage door opening in cinder block wall [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I got a dilemma, that is I have to increase a garage door opening from 7 feet to 12 feet and add a foot in height to the door (from 9 to 10). The wall is all cinder block which goes up to about 20 feet tall and 40 wide (it's an old refrigerator for apple crates ) now I know that the opening...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Garage door opener wall mount button [ 8 Answers ]

Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I...

View more questions Search