Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bamagirl1997 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Closing 401k
    My son-in-law opened a 401k this year. His company told him that they are not getting a christmas bonus this year (they usually get a sizable one) and they are in need of money for taxes, christmas, etc. He asked about closing his 401k so he could use the money from that, but they told him he could only under certain circumstances. It's his money and even though he will have to pay a penalty, shouldn't he be able to close it? We live in Alabama, his company's headquarters is in Ohio. Any one know ?
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl1997
    My son-in-law opened a 401k this year. His company told him that they are not getting a christmas bonus this year (they usually get a sizable one) and they are in need of money for taxes, christmas, etc. He asked about closing his 401k so he could use the money from that, but they told him he could only under certain circumstances. It's his money and even though he will have to pay a penalty, shouldn't he be able to close it? We live in Alabama, his company's headquarters is in Ohio. Any one know ?
    Yes, he can close his 401K if he wants to but he will pay a penalty of 10% plus pay taxes on the full amount of his 401K funds.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Whether he is allowed to make a withdrawal is entirely up to the rules of the particular 401(k) plan that his employer has set up. The IRS allows plans to make withdrawals available, but the plan is not required to do so. He should check with the plan administrator to see what the rules of his specific plan are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Ranger is not entirely correct here, ebaines is. Whether an inservice withdrawal is allowed is part of the plan provisions. Not all plans allow them and those that do, generally put restrictions on them.

Yes its his money, but it was earmarked for a specific purpose and he has yet to pay taxes on that money. That's why the 401K rules make it hard to withdraw. Plus the nature of the penalites is such that you would be throwing away money by taking a withdrawal.

See if he can take a loan against those funds instead. That would be a much better option.

He should also learn to budget better. If not getting a bonus affects him like this, then he hasn't budgeted properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Closing [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to close my 401k early and I just need to understand what steps I need to take

Early closing 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband is closing his 401K plan early, he is 56 and needs the cash, moving out of state. According to our divorce agreement, 1/2 is mine and a QDRO is being filed. I have already spoken to a financial consultant and will roll my 1/2 into an IRA. My ex's attorney is preparing the QDRO to...

Closing my 401K? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier last year from the...

Closing a 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I'm on a Leave of Absence from my place of employment. I need money and the only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier this year, from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is...

View more questions Search