Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Apple or not?
    I have a customer that wants a desktop to use primarily for video editing and production. What are your thoughts on an Apple vs an AMD 64 based one?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 09:56 AM
    Is money an issue? The Mac will cost more. Is the software he wants to use available for PC?

Dec 8, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Money issue
    I have a budget of $2500. The customer has no idea what software he wants, he is a beginner who wants to tape in dv and 8 and make dvd's to send to customers. I have looked at the G5 and it is pricey. I know Adobe makes a pretty good video production/editing product. I guess I could price a dual, 1gddr. I am not an expert in Apple, by no means.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzie
    I have a budget of $2500. The customer has no idea what software he wants, he is a beginner who wants to tape in dv and 8 and make dvd's to send to customers. I have looked at the G5 and it is pricey. I know Adobe makes a pretty good video production/editing product. I guess I could price a dual, 1gddr. I am not an expert in Apple, by no means.
    For that sort of price you could get an exceptionally powerful AMD64 setup with DVD burners et al.
    Plus, as a beginner user they would likely find the interface easier to master.

There are lots of video editing packages out here for windows as well.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 11:02 AM
    I guess I could price a dual, 1gddr. I am not an expert in Apple, by no means.
    If you are in any way going to be offering support to this person I think you just answered your question.

:D

Dec 8, 2005, 11:09 AM
    Ain't that the truth!! :D . I think I will shoot for a Shuttle SN95G5v3 Socket 939/AMD 64x2 3000, 2G ddr and other obvious add ons. That sound OK?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Conventional wisdom says that the software drives the hardware. Before you start looking for hardware you should be looking for software. Search for reviews on video editing software. Find what is considered the best. Have the customer try out some of the software to see if they like it and it does the job for them. THEN you can decide on the hardware.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Ain't that the truth!!!! :D . I think I will shoot for a Shuttle SN95G5v3 Socket 939/AMD 64x2 3000, 2G ddr and other obvious add ons. That sound OK?
    Sounds good. I'd love to have 2GB DDR!

Add multiple SATA drives, a good video card that does very speedy 2D and 3D, DVD burner of course.

Dec 8, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worms in apple trees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! How can we stop worms from eating the apples in the trees? I live in Ontario, Canada and it's starting to get warm and It won't be long before the flowers will strart showing in the trees. Thanks in adavance

Advantages and disadvantages of Apple [ 20 Answers ]

Dear all At the moment I will start my own internet business, so I am thinking on changing to a mac system, a G5 I think. My problem is that I never worked with Apple before, although I kwnon I can achieve better results, I don't know what are the advantages and disadvantages of using mac...

Opening Apple G3 Computer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to get this darn thing open!! It is a Mac G3 (everything's all in one - monitor, hard drive, motherboard, etc.) I figured out how to get the bottom open, which allows me to access the motherboard, but what I need is to get the top open, where the power...

Apple trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 harolred apple tree for 3 years now and one has never blossomed and the other one has only produced one apple. Is it because trees are still young or is there a problem thanks Eva ::)

Apple trees [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get information about rehabing apple trees. The tree's belong to a friend. There are two. For several years the tree's have produced fruit that is knarly And not really edable. They are badly thatched and need Pruned. I have read several articles on pruning them but I...

View more questions Search