Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bijitdas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
    Game of Cricket
    How do you describe the game of cricket in detail?
    leethepro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2004, 01:02 PM
    Two teams play, and they have a toss up to see who bats first, and who bowls first. The team who has elected to bowl, will place fielders out around the field, and the bowlers will bowl to the batter. Each bowler always bowls six balls, which is one over. Then another bowler will come on to bowl the next over, and obviously the captain will try to vary between spin bowling and speed(pace) bowling. The batting team will have two batsmen out, one at each end of the pitch, and when the batter hits the ball, they must both run between the wickets (one at each end of the pitch) to score runs. Each time they make it from one end to the other, it is one run, and obviously, the aim is to score the most runs. The bowler will try to bowl the batter out by hitting his wickets behind him, or if the ball hits the bat and then a fielder catches it, OR, if the ball hits the leg pad of the batter, and his leg is in line with the wicket, then that counts as out as well. Once ten wickets have been taken, the teams switch sides to bat or bowl. Once the opposing team has either been bowled out, or overtaken the other team's score, then the game is over.
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 29, 2005, 01:35 PM
    Pictures or digital movie clips of Cricket
    I am still having a little trouble visualizing the equipment and play. Does anyone have any pictures, diagrams, or digital movie clips of the game being played?

Until reading the brief explanation above, I thought Cricket was related to baseball, but now I have my doubts.

Oldcoach
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2005, 06:36 PM
    A Detailed Explanation of Cricket
    Cricket- The Game

Cricket (game), a high-scoring outdoor bat-and-ball game played between teams of 11 players that originated in England over 500 years ago. A team sport exceeded in popularity worldwide only by soccer and basketball, cricket can be found in over 120 countries. The game has been played in the United States since the early 18th century.

A cricket ball is about the same size as a baseball, made of alternating layers of cork and wool and covered by either red or white leather. It cannot weigh less than 156 g (5.5 oz) or more than 163 g (5.75 oz) and cannot be larger than 23 cm (9 in) in circumference. The cricket bat is long and flat, made of willow, and is fitted with a cane handle with a rubber grip. It cannot be longer than 97 cm (38 in) or wider than 11.5 cm (4.5 in), though it can be any weight. The only fielder in cricket allowed to wear gloves is the wicket-keeper (the “catcher” in cricket), who wears two large, shallow-pocketed leather gloves.

Cricket is played on a large, circular, grassy area called a ground. Cricket grounds can be any size, but those used in professional cricket are usually between 114 m and 160 m (375 ft and 525 ft) in diameter. Most of the action in cricket takes place in the center of the ground on a manicured strip of grass, 20 m (66 ft) long and about 3 m (10 ft) wide, called the pitch. At each end of the pitch, set upright in the ground, are three wooden poles called stumps. Collectively the stumps are known as a wicket. The wicket is 71 cm (28 in) high and 23 cm (9 in) wide. Resting in grooves on top of the stumps are two small pieces of wood called bails. Four feet in front of and parallel to the wicket is a long white chalk line called the popping crease. Running between the two wickets, 2.7 m (8.7 ft) apart, are two other white lines called the return creases.

In general, cricket is very similar to baseball. The cricket batter stands in front of one wicket and tries to score runs by hitting balls that the bowler (the cricket “pitcher”) throws to him from the opposite wicket. In specifics, however, the two games are very different. Cricket has no foul territory, no balls or strikes, and the batter does not have to run when he hits the ball. The cricket batter also has a partner who stands at the opposite wicket with a bat. If the batter hits the ball and decides to run, the two players then simultaneously run to their opposite wickets. Once they are both over the popping crease at the opposite wicket, one run is scored. If the batter hits the ball far enough, he and his partner can continue to run back and forth from wicket to wicket, scoring another run each time they switch wickets. If the batter hits a fly ball out of the ground, much like a “home run,” his team gets six automatic runs. If the batter hits a ground ball out of the playing area, the team gets four automatic runs. Unlike baseball, the batter does not come out after scoring a run but continues to hit until he is put out.

The fielding team can get the batter out one of four main ways: (1) the bowler can throw the ball past the batter, hit the wicket, and knock off at least one bail (called an out bowled); (2) the batter blocks a ball from hitting the wicket with his body, even unintentionally (out leg before wicket, or LBW); (3) the batter hits the ball and any fielder catches it on the fly (out caught); and (4) a fielder can get the ball while the batters are running, throw it, hit the wicket, and knock off at least one bail before the batter crosses the popping crease (out run out).

The bowler in cricket can take a run-up and can throw the ball to the batter on the bounce as well as on the fly, but he must keep his arm straight while throwing. He must also stay behind the popping crease and within the return creases at his wicket until he releases the ball. To give both batters a chance to hit, the bowling direction is reversed every six pitches (called an over). After the first bowler has thrown six times from one wicket, another fielder takes the ball and throws six times from the other wicket. This change of bowling direction continues every six pitches throughout the game.

A cricket game can last one or, at the most, two innings. This is because the fielding team must get out 10 of the 11 players on the batting team before they can come to bat. When the fielding team comes up, they also bat through their entire order. Whichever team has the most runs after each team has batted once is the winner. In a two-innings game, each team would bat and field twice.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761556099/Cricket_(game).html#endads
    samadams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 05:46 AM

Cricket is basically of two types one day international and test cricket, but now a days there is special trend of 20-20 also. One day international is of 50 overs match and test cricket is of 5 days. It is a game in which there are 11 players in each team.
    ===========================================
    samadams
    Wide Circles

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cricket cookies [ 21 Answers ]

I have decided to start eating bugs. Here is a great recipe for cricket cookies. Try it... you will like it! Have a tooth pick handy as their hind legs do get stuck in your teeth. I am looking for recipies using worms. If anyone has any please let me know. I am looking for the recipe that uses deep...

Spore the Game [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I am having trouble finding the place to find a download for the game spore or at least the demo. If you can please leave the URL Address and please, don't leave me URLs of movies!!

Cricket [ 1 Answers ]

Which is the only indian player who captained india in under19,22,india,indian masters

Game help [ 3 Answers ]

I have this nascar sim racing game I play all the time, now I'm get something that say's the following. We have encountered a problem with sim racing, and it must be shut down. Thank you [email protected]

View more questions Search