Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlcsmc86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 07:08 PM
    Credit reporting
    When someone is offered a settlement or you are negociating (sp) with a creditor or collection agency. Some say to try to get the creditor to put PAID IN FULL OR NEVER LATE OR no deal. How do you really know that they will abide by what they are saying, I know they can't be trusted. Do you wait to get that in writing from them before you send any money. They can just not
    Do it and what then can you do about it. Its probably too late. Any feedback on this. Thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 07:44 PM
    When things get to a point that you have to negotiate with a collection agency then you're essentially in default. If you do settle then that will be reflected in the record that the debt has been settled but the record will also note the default status of the debt That will lower your credit rating. In any situation, however, a settled debt is always better than an unsettled debt and reflects better on your credit record.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 03:44 AM
    Get confirmation of anything they promise you in writing.

... then if they don't report it right, you can dispute it with the credit bureau, showing them the letter, and they will remove or correct it.
    dlcsmc86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Credit reporting
    Thanks for your reply. I will keep you posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting inheritance for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to clear up what to report on my individual tax form from a recent inheritance from a parent. I directly inherited 1 a teacher's pension fund lump sum settlement (I think it's considered like life insurance payout), 2 a life insurance pay out, 3 and an annuity cash out....

Reporting immigration fraud [ 3 Answers ]

If you know of Immigration fraud that is going on in Cincinnati Ohio can anyone tell me with whom I would report it to? I have tried various numbers and they are either disconnected or only computer voiced. Thx

Credit Reporting Used as a weapon [ 4 Answers ]

What are the options for getting a company to correct their erroneous credit reporting? This has to do with Geico the Insurance company. They terminated my policy, sent me a refund. Now they are claiming we re-signed and that we owe and are reporting the lack of payment. We never restated our...

Reporting sign on bonuses [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: If anyone can help me I would be so happy! Recently, I got a report from the IRS. I suppose I was audited for the year 2003 where I was in school full time working on a master's degree and received a sign on bonus for $30,000 to sign an employee 3-year contract for when I graduate. This...

View more questions Search