Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 04:24 PM
    Pdf to text
    Are there some pdf's that won't let you copy them as text? I was trying to copy a table from http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals...w/110-733c.pdf and couldn't copy it. I had no trouble copying a similar table from http://www.thermostatusa.com/pdf/CCR...stallation.pdf

Once in a while I just don't seem to be able to copy stuff.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 05:11 PM
    Yup, that can happen. That is one of the selling points of the newer versions of Acrobat, a security feature if you will.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Pdf
    Hi,
    Here is a "round-about" way of getting the table you want.
    Do you have a scanner?
    If so, then go to the site.
    You can either print out the site, or;
    Click on the Save As icon, and save it to, like, My Documents.
    Then, open My Documents, and print it out.
    Put the table you want in your scanner.
    Scan it to where ever, such as an image program, then copy it from that program.
    Just a thought.
    CaptainRover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 11:36 PM

You can use the MS Document Image writer to convert the file into tiff (Tagged Image File) or other picture format (use at least 150 DPI resolution). Then use an OCR software (also comes with most scanner software) to parse the table into readable and searchable format.

The trouble is that most pdf's that do not allow to copy also do not allow you to print them. In this case, the only option is either to try a password cracker software (takes very very very long--literally) or use "PRINT SCREEN" Key to copy and paste the screen image in some picture editor, save and then try OCR (very unreliable conversion to text because of lower resolutions on screens--96 DPI)
    bhickshu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 07:44 PM
    PDF files can be images or text depending on how they were created. If is a picture of text then you will need to use OCR software to convert to actual text. It could also be that the particular pdf has been locked so that editing or copying has been disabled. The way to tell is to open it and go to File > Document Properties and look at the security setting. If it is password protected then it is locked. Otherwise it is an image. The file size can also be an indication since pictures take up more space than text.
    StvenWesley Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 08:37 PM

I just check out the Security Settings of the online PDF file and find it is a protected PDF file that doesn't allow any copy from this file. So it is impossible to do that work.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 05:56 AM

Just so everyone is aware, this was posted back in 2005.
    StvenWesley Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 06:27 PM

Because the file you want to copy is protected with owner password that prevents you from copying and printing. So you would can do nothing about that since it is online. Can you download it and try to refer to some PDF Password Remover?
    georgemguitarist Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 05:06 PM

You haven't specified which program you use, but you may want to try Foxit PDF reader, it's lite, free to download for personal use and it has many brilliant features Adobe wishes it had.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Text messaging [ 15 Answers ]

I believe my wife is addicted to text messaging. Before she would leave her cell phone lying around the house, just recently she's had her phone on her at all times, she will even sleep with it. We are unable to have a conversation because she is too concerned with the latest message she just...

Cannot read text! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone , I run 2005 HP comp. with XP home . Everything has been good until I booted up today . Now all my text is in symbols instead of words . Has anyone ever heard of this ? Thanks for your help, Tom

Text to speech [ 1 Answers ]

Is a website where I can download a thing where the computer reads the page to me?

Text color [ 1 Answers ]

I am using Windows XP and the names of my folders always were in blue. Now they are in black and I would like to know how to change the color back to blue. Thank you. Mrs. Moran

Text Size [ 2 Answers ]

Using 98SE--I read where you can click the wheel on the mouse and make the text size bigger or smaller-How do you do this? Thank you

View more questions Search