Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Leaking Water Expansion Tank
    I have a Watts Water Expansion Tank, I assume it is the 2 gallon size, that has developed a leak in the tank. It is attached to my hot water heater and when the cold water valve is turn on, a fine thin spray of water comes out of the top of the unit. It is not leaking where it is attached to copper pipes. It is about 6 years old, we build our house in 2001 and it was originally placed by the builder. I assume I will need to replace the tank. I have basically 2 questions. Any idea on how this leak could have come about? The unit is an all metal constructions. The second question, can this repair be done by someone with absolutely no plumbing experience or would it be safer to use a plumber?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
    If the tank's attached to the cold water line with a tee that it's a simple task to replace it. It threads in so shut the water off at the house shut off and bleed the pressure off. Now unscrew the tank counterclockwise. Don't forget to use Teflon Tape on the threads when you install the new tank. Good luck, Tom
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Lets not forget the pipe dope as well as the teflon
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 12:05 AM
    If you use Teflon Tape you don't need pipe dope.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If you use Teflon Tape you don't need pipe dope.
    Better safe than sorry though
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 2, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Thank you guys for the quick reply. I'll give it a try but will call the professionals if I run into problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air in well water expansion tank? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently increase the energize/de-energize setpoint on my submersible pump (my house has a well), from 20-40 PSIG to 30-50 PSIG. I then increased the expansion tank's charge to 28 PSIG. However, now every time I open the cold water faucet (any cold water faucet), some air spits out. I have a...

Water heater expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a four year old water heater that is leaking out the pressure release down tube and there is an expansion tank fixed to the cold side. I tested the pressure on the expansion tank and it reads 0.00. Is there supposed to be some amount of pressure reading in the expansion tank or can I add...

Water Heater Expansion Tank [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again. I meant an under the air conditioner hot water heater. The current one is 31" high. It has an expansion tank, but I was told it wasn't necessary. I'm in a second floor condo. Is it really necessary and if so, why? Thanks a lot.

Water heater expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

I need a new water heater and one plumber says the expansion tank on the side is not necessary. Is it? What is the average cost of a 40 gal, under air water heater already hard wired? 2nd floor. Thanks

Water heater expansion tank [ 4 Answers ]

Read a post here concerning the water line back flow preventer/expansion tank and am familiar with its operation and purpose when using city water. My question is, is this setup recommended or even needed on a well water system? My feeling is that the holding tank would take up any expansion. ...

View more questions Search