Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Is anyone on the forum active in hunting for arrowhead and Indian artifacts?
    I have always been active in searching creek beds, researching history of the area I live, finding out where old trading posts were and have found some pieces even in my own yard while gardening. I have one piece I would very much like input on. If I receive a post of others with common interest, I will photograph the piece I am interested in getting an opinion on. Some older friends of ours were amateur archeologists and shared a wealth of information with us. We were invited to a meeting in their home with others of like intests. This couple had been on digs in several states and always logged each piece, photographed them, numbered them, dated them, and logged them with the University of that state... all legal... all with great reverence. The couple have a small museum in Baxter Springs, Ark. Which houses arrowheads, pottery pieces, etc. They have passed away now but when shown this piece I am interested in knowing about, when it was expressed that it looked too perfect to be hand made, more like factory made, the man said, "Indians made perfect work!" I believe it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
    I'm not sure how much I can help. But, I am a member of the local chapter of the Illinois Association for Advancement of Archaeology. I do have great interest in these kinds of things. I have found a couple of artifacts on my own.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I'm not sure how much I can help. But, I am a member of the local chapter of the Illinois Association for Advancement of Archaeology. I do have great interest in these kinds of things. I have found a couple of artifacts on my own.
    Thank you for your post. I would love to hear about the artifacts you have found. So much history all around us! I look forward to receiving more information from you. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Hi there!
    Thought I would post a couple of photos. The one of the map is a print of a hand drawn map that shows the area where I live. It is as wide as my dining room table but not quite as long. There is so much history handwritten on this map. It shows where Sam Houston lived with his Indian wife before going to Texas. It shows cane breaks which are still there today. A man followed the map a few years ago and except for the widening of the rivers and some changes, so many of the landmarks are still there. It shows where the trading posts were in the areas, Indian encampments, etc.

Just thought you might enjoy seeing it even though you cannot read it in the photo.

The other photos shows:

Top left - the piece dug up in our garden in the back yard that we would love to know about. It looks factory made but the man I wrote about earlier says it was used as a tool possibly with leather straps attached, using a stick which wore the indention in the end, possibly for starting fires. That never seemed to fit the shape for me but would love to know. It is an unusual find even if factory made for some purpose. Then there is the axe head, two spades, then again on the left are geodes which are plentiful around here. The top two have been broken open. They are hollow inside. The bottom two have not been broken. Some when broken, have mineral matter in them?? We were told that Indians used these to put their paint made from berries and such in for painting pottery.

Just thought you would enjoy viewing these. I have photos of our other pieces which include pottery shards.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Fascinating map, Jan! When posting the pictures of the artifacts, it would help to have a ruler in the image along side of them so that people can also get an idea as to what their size is. Just a thought.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Really cool items! I have been fascinated with these type of finds for a long long time! I've never actually found anything myself though. Amazing what a person can walk right over and not even know it is there. Many old trails and camps are around this part of Ohio, and I'd love to go on a search sometime... First, I should probably take a course to learn a lot more about what to look for though. Just for a little background on me, I am into genealogy a lot and have been involved with historical societies. I really enjoy museums and old artifacts. No end to the excitement that such things bring me!
    Thanks for sharing, and I hope to hear more!!
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:47 PM
    Where would one obtain a map like the one in the image that you have posted?
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:48 PM
    That is a good idea Craig! Thanks. :) The artifacts are packed away in my closet right now but after the holidays perhaps I could get them out and rephotograph them. I won't post any of the others until I am able to use the ruler. I do always enjoy seeing some way to gage the size of certain pieces. A friend of mine creates tiny little babies out of some sort of polyresin, I don't recall what it is called and will place her thumb or a ruler along side some of them when posting the photo on eBay. I will remmember to do that!
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Really cool items! I have been fascinated with these type of finds for a long long time! I've never actually found anything myself though. Amazing what a person can walk right over and not even know it is there. Many old trails and camps are around this part of Ohio, and I'd love to go on a search sometime... First, I should probably take a course to learn a lot more about what to look for though. Just for a little background on me, I am into geneology a lot and have been involved with historical societies. I really enjoy museums and old artifacts. No end to the excitement that such things bring me!
    Thanks for sharing, and I hope to hear more!!!
    I am so thrilled you enjoyed the post. I too get really excited when delving into the history of the areas. I think I was born in the wrong time. :confused: I have always wanted to live during the "Old West" days! :p I had been asked to ride with a group who do the recreations but at the time, it didn't work out, children were little, tried to find property to rent to keep a horse to ride in the events, sadly didn't work out. I love hunting, and fishing and these both afford me the opportunity to scout out areas and seek treasures, even if only interesting barb wire. Found some square barbed wire while scouting out a deer hunting area. What a treasure.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:03 AM
    For this particular one, the only place I would have any idea where to have a copy made would be to contact the company whose name is at the bottom of the map of which I cannot remember the name at present. I think they may still be in business here in town. They mainly do work in construction blue prints, draftsman, etc. I am not saying that right. I only know of three copies. The friend who gave this one to us, ours, and there is one on display at the old fort, at "Fort Gibson" a few miles from us. It is under glass and is displayed in one of the officers quarters at the old fort.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Amazing what a person can walk right over and not even know it is there. Thanks for sharing, and I hope to hear more!!!
    We do walk over much history without realizing it, don't we? As with anything, when one trains their eye to see, they find wonderous things. I have found lots of flint pieces that have been worked only on one side, meaning perhaps the person making the arrowhead either got interrupted or perhaps in the process, chipped off the tip so tossed it. To me, even those "finds: are treasures. :)
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:13 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Originally Posted by jrebel7
    For this particular one, the only place I would have any idea where to have a copy made would be to contact the company whose name is at the bottom of the map of which I cannot remember the name at present. I think they may still be in business here in town. They mainly do work in construction blue prints, draftsman, etc. I am not saying that right. I only know of three copies. The friend who gave this one to us, ours, and there is one on display at the old fort, at "Fort Gibson" a few miles from us. It is under glass and is displayed in one of the officers quarters at the old fort.
    Thank you for your answer!

Now, you've got me thinking! :eek:

We have a Rock Island County Historical Society around where I live. Perhaps they might have a map like that in a book.

We also have the Rock Island Arsenal where I live. There is a museum on the Arsenal. And, in this city of Rock Island was the encampment of the tribe over which Black Hawk was the Chief.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Thank you for your answer!

Now, you've got me thinking! :eek:

We have a Rock Island County Historical Society around where I live. Perhaps they might have a map like that in a book.

We also have the Rock Island Arsenal where I live. There is a museum on the Arsenal. And, in this city of Rock Island was the encampment of the tribe over which Black Hawk was the Chief.
    That could prove very interesting!!

I wish I could type out all the info on the map but it just has so much history on it. It is all, of course, hand written, very tiny. What a treasure!
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    if only interesting barb wire. Found some square barbed wire while scouting out a deer hunting area. What a treasure.
    That reminds me of a trip I took to Texas back in 1985... there was a museum display of old barb wire. I'm not sure if it was near Judge Roy Beam's museum... or if it was around Big Bend park.. but it was fascinating to see all the varieties... some were like razors! And others were just painful looking! I remember as I was looking at it, I was reminded of a story that my fourth grade teacher read to the class... I think it was The Boxcar Family or mayby Bobsie Twins not sure... but anyway in the story it was describing how the father and son were stretching the barb wire to put up a fence when the wire broke causing the wire to snap back due to the tension, and a younger brother was struck in the face cutting him...

And that brings me (in mind) to another great story that same teacher read to us called The Iceberg Hermit... I'm planning on reading that story to my son this weekend! I found an old copy at a local thrift store...

Sorry for going astray with my thoughts, hope you found them interesting.

The local courthouse might be able to point you to a similar map of the area... possibly in the engineers office... if you go and ask, if not in that office, they will know where to send you... They probably have different large maps like that for each area or subdivision... and not very expensive to have them make you a copy.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
    \
    Great answer... I have seen similar old map books at historical societies... I had forgotten about that.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:33 AM
    That reminds me of a trip I took to Texas back in 1985... there was a museum display of old barb wire. I'm not sure if it was near Judge Roy Beam's museum... or if it was around Big Bend park.. but it was fascinating to see all the varieties... some were like razors! and others were just painful looking! I remember as I was looking at it, I was reminded of a story that my fourth grade teacher read to the class... I think it was The Boxcar Family or mayby Bobsie Twins not sure...but anyways in the story it was describing how the father and son were stretching the barb wire to put up a fence when the wire broke causing the wire to snap back due to the tension, and a younger brother was struck in the face cutting him...

And that brings me (in mind) to another great story that same teacher read to us called The Iceberg Hermit... I'm planning on reading that story to my son this weekend! I found an old copy at a local thrift store...

Sorry for going astray with my thoughts, hope you found them interesting.

The local courthouse might be able to point you to a similar map of the area... possibly in the engineers office... if you go and ask, if not in that office, they will know where to send you... They probably have different large maps like that for each area or subdivision... and not very expensive to have them make you a copy.
    OUCH!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    That brought back some memories of movies I have seen where that happened. It is intersting how sharing just a few thoughts can trigger so many memories from our past.

I love that you shared that and how special that you are going to read the "The Iceberg Hermit" to your son. I have never heard of that one.

I know the barbed wire takes me back to times in my mind when I think of free range and then how it all started building up to what it eventually came to be today, buildings everywhere, fences everywhere. Oh well... change happens but when I get bogged down, I just go out to the woods or the river and realize that all that was there before all of this and it gives me happy, peaceful thougths! A simpler time!! Now, don't get me wrong, I love running water, bathtubs with hot water, facilities, washer and dryers!! LOL I enjoy the dreaming of it but I imagine the reality was pretty harsh at times.

Please keep posting thoughts, memories, experiences. I love it!
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:36 AM
    Good night Craig and Oneguy! I have enjoyed the postings this evening. Hope to read more from you all on the subject later on. Have a good restful night! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Hi All!

I am posting a photo of some pottery shards. I haven't gotten the pieces out to photograph by a ruler yet but by telling you these are just about two inch pieces, give or take, perhaps that will give you a good enough idea for now. The textures are different, colors and patterns. Just such pieces of history.

One of my best friends from forever is a retired teacher but has gone back to college to learn the language of her ancestors, "Cherokee", with plans to teach emersion classes upon graduation. She has also learned to dig her own clay, process it and make beautiful pieced of pottery and fire it the way the "Cherokee's" fired it, in a pit in the ground. Most fascinating to me. I picked polk berries and processed and canned the juice to make dye for her to use to paint patterns on her pottery. If not processed correctly, it will eventually fade. There are two ways I found to process it. Hope I chose the right one!! Every link I have read on line says about the same. Just can't figure out how to classify the process I was doing. She appreciated it anyway and it was fun finding the berries and processing them as a surprise for her. I just did a cold pack, not pressure cooker. I am not much for in the kitchen! :p
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:43 AM
    Gosh, Jan! I'm starting to think that the inside of your home must look like some kind of museum! I know that mine does! :eek:

I do have some arrowheads. I did not find them myself. They were given to me. They are not completed. I have heard that incomplete arrow heads or other weaponry and/or tools made by Indians are not as valuable if they aren't completed in their construction for the purpose for which they were intended.

Is that true?
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Gosh, Jan! I'm starting to think that the inside of your home must look like some kind of museum! I know that mine does! :eek:

I do have some arrowheads. I did not find them myself. They were given to me. They are not completed. I have heard that incomplete arrow heads or other weaponry and/or tools made by Indians are not as valuable if they aren't completed in their construction for the purpose for which they were intended.

Is that true?
    Not so much a museum as just a mess! LOL :p But a fun mess!
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search