Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I liked those quite a bit, but I'm still mentally trying to sort out if I want something without the patterns. Maybe plainer or less associated with the southwest or cultural group... not that anything is wrong with that, but I dont want people to think that I am pretending to be part of some other group than I am... I really appreciate your help!
    This is not an archaeology find but ran across a poncho made of light blanket material, all one color, tan, the back came down to a V and the two front sides were squared in front and just draped rather than having the hole for the head so gave more freedom of movement. Getting a light blanket and cutting a hole for the head would certainly work though as you mentioned. Just FYI on the design of the poncho.

I am looking forward to others posting their experiences of searching for artifacts and sharing photos of some of their "finds". My experience has only been in the United States and limited to one state searching for artifacts: pottery, beads, arrowheads, birdpoints, ceremonial points, weaponry such as axe heads, tools such as shovels made of flint, hoes, firestarters (not the correct name), even pieces of crystal as this generally means higher position in the tribe. I would be interested in those of you from other countries around the world, to share any finds you have made. It would open up the world to all of us.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
    I am also amazed at not only Human Artifacts, But Natural Mineral and Geological formations on this earth, Love the Hunt(gold, lost treasures)Use to live in Nevada, close to the Spanish Trail, and relocate springs, Explore the Mountains, Love caves and mines. Was in the Gold Prospectors
    Association of America, Years ago(They go to Alaska Every Year). I live near old Pirate and Treasure Wrecks. Still looking. Last time I was Out West, I got my niece a metal detector, didn't have luck with the Detector, but found a perfectly round stone.
    Size of a Quarter, Turned out to be an Indian Marble. They form from sandstone, and grow from the center out, Gypsum and Barite Roses are interesting Crystals that look like rose's . Could talk for hours.
    I am 50 now, but when I was about 18, me and a Girl were drinking, and started driving, We were "Headin' West" going to California for something to do. Took a road(dirt)many miles, we may have been in California. Left headlights on to look around, saw little mining?
    Shacks, water storage tank, then hair and bones on the ground, couldn't get to the car fast enough. However it wouldn't start(Had the headlights on) We stayed their the night, Next morning, We looked around and when we pulled the sheets down on one of the beds, it crumbled.
    It had a Large D8 battery by the generator that powered a pair of wires strung between the shacks, We put that battery on a stretcher that was there, touched ground of Battery to bumper, and large piece of bent metal, was the positive. The car started, went home.
    To this day I googleearth all over the area in search of this place. Have not found it yet.
    It is below a spring. Problem is it is "Spring Mountains" and are many springs. Take Care
    Merry Christmas.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Very cool and interesting story! You've got me wondering about those bones! Sounds like quite an adventure!
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I am also amazed at not only Human Artifacts, But Natural Mineral and Geological formations on this earth, Love the Hunt(gold, lost treasures)Use to live in Nevada, close to the Spanish Trail, and relocate springs, Explore the Mountains, Love caves and mines. Was in the Gold Prospectors
    Association of America, Years ago(They go to Alaska Every Year). I live near old Pirate and Treasure Wrecks. Still looking. Last time I was Out West, I got my neice a metal detector, didn't have luck with the Detector, but found a perfectly round stone.
    Size of a Quarter, Turned out to be an Indian Marble. They form from sandstone, and grow from the center out, Gypsum and Barite Roses are interesting Crystals that look like rose's . Could talk for hours.
    I am 50 now, but when I was about 18, me and a Girl were drinking, and started driving, We were "Headin' West" going to California for something to do. Took a road(dirt)many miles, we may have been in California. Left headlights on to look around, saw little mining?
    shacks, water storage tank, then hair and bones on the ground, couldn't get to the car fast enough. However it wouldn't start(Had the headlights on) We stayed their the night, Next morning, We looked around and when we pulled the sheets down on one of the beds, it crumbled.
    It had a Large D8 battery by the generator that powered a pair of wires strung between the shacks, We put that battery on a stretcher that was there, touched ground of Battery to bumper, and large piece of bent metal, was the positive. The car started, went home.
    To this day I googleearth all over the area in search of this place. Have not found it yet.
    It is below a spring. Problem is it is "Spring Mountains" and are many springs. Take Care
    Merry Christmas.
    "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to you also this afternoon! You have certainly piquéd my interest. I would like to know more about the Indian Marble. I think I have one but not sure. It is so perfectly round, it made me wonder. When you were in the Gold Prospector's Association of America, did you go to Alaska? I would be interested in hearing either your own experience or some that were told to you from that experience.

When I read about the hair and bones you saw in the mining camp area, sort of made me shiver. I'm sure it was animal?? But your story just made me feel like I was there for a split second, scared and wanting to get out of there... and then a dead battery?? :eek: I am sure there are so many little deserted mining areas that still hold so much history yet to be discovered. Good thing you knew what to do to start the car. I would love to hear more of your experiences with finding treasures and artifacts and the journey of experiences getting there when you have time to share. None of my local friends have interest in these scouting out areas and they have no desire to enjoy the hunt. So this venue is a great lift to my spirit. Thanks so much for sharing. Again, when you have time, would love hearing more!
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
    In the morning and with daylight, we realized it was a small animal and hopefully died of natural causes, Hopefully it was not the water he drank? It was a little spookey in the middle of the desert and middle of the night. Thomas Terry put out a 10 Volume set of books of the 50 States. US Treasure Atlas. Stage coach robberies, Spanish gold in the ocean and All over the US. Trains/Stage stations, Ghost Towns, Very Informative for research. I would get 7.5 minute Topo's Shows a lot more detail, trails and ponds, many things the larger maps don't. Maybe take the kids to Cowee Valley, North Carolina. They can look for rubies, and MANY minerals. Over 300 Minerals from this area in the Smithsonian.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Those 10 Volumes used to cost about 7.95 each back int the 70 or 80's. Now they are about 14.95 each, I had 6 of the 10 volumes and the rest were hard to find/out of print for 14.95 each. I got lucky on Ebay and a guy had a about 40 complete sets. $40 each set and they were brand new.
    I didn't get to go to Alaska, yet.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Those 10 Volumes used to cost about 7.95 each back int the 70 or 80's. now they are about 14.95 each, I had 6 of the 10 volumes and the rest were hard to find/out of print for 14.95 each. I got lucky on Ebay and a guy had a bout 40 complete sets. $40 each set and they were brand new.
    I didn't get to go to Alaska, yet.
    I just typed an epic and hit a wrong button and it all went away. I will save that story for another time. I will just say thank you for letting me know how to possibly locate the books and I love the way you ended your post with "I didn't get to go to Alaska, yet." Keep us posted if you plan the trip! :)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
    I was born and raised in southeastern Arkansas and my dad had a farm in Winchester. He had what he called an Indian dump on his farm near the shop. The creek near the shop was swarming with thousands of arrowheads, but most of them had the tip snapped off or had a large crack or flaw in the stone. My dad believed that is where the natives replaced and/or repaired their arrows after a hunt or fight.

He was a rice farmer that had to routinely roust out beavers. He would find the greatest things inside the beaver dam like stones used for grinding meal or grain and pieces of pottery. Beavers also apparently have an affinity for the glass thingies that used to sit on top of telephone poles. He found dozens of those.

I have really enjoyed this thread.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 09:55 AM
    I still go to southern Nevada, and Lake Mead is very low now, There is a story about a guy, robbed a stage coach, bank or something, He hid his the Gold in a Cave, when he got out of Prison, he found the location was now under Lake mead which is a result of Hoover(Boulder) Dam. It will still involve Dive Gear, and I have a Whites PI 3000. If it is there, it will find it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I was born and raised in southeastern Arkansas and my dad had a farm in Winchester. He had what he called an Indian dump on his farm near the shop. The creek near the shop was swarming with thousands of arrowheads, but most of them had the tip snapped off or had a large crack or flaw in the stone. My dad believed that is where the natives replaced and/or repaired their arrows after a hunt or fight.

He was a rice farmer that had to routinely roust out beavers. He would find the greatest things inside the beaver dam like stones used for grinding meal or grain and pieces of pottery. Beavers also apparently have an affinity for the glass thingies that used to sit on top of telephone poles. He found dozens of those.

I have really enjoyed this thread.
    Emland, I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing. Do you have any photos of these treasures; pottery, stones used for grinding meal or grain or even arrowheads broken or not, flaws or even just partially worked? If you do, please post them. I would sure enjoy seeing them. If I even find a piece of flint where one side has been worked, I feel I had a good day! :) Your dad was probably correct in his idea that the place was where the natives replaced and/or repaired their arrows. I was told by our archeologists friends I shared about earlier in the thread, that there was generally one are where the Indians would sit and work and rework the arrowheads. Their camps were generally close to a river or stream. I would enjoy also seeing photos of the glass insulators you referred to from the top of telephone poles. I collected a few of those, a few of each color I could find.

I am glad you are enjoying the thread. Each time someone posts, I get more inspired to begin my search again for treasures. Thank you so much for sharing and please do post other stories and or photographs as you can. There is so much information out there, just like this from your dad that does not get written down or shared except with family so I count it a privilege that you shared this on the thread.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 11:23 AM
    I still go to southern Nevada, and Lake Mead is very low now, There is a story about a guy, robbed a stage coach, bank or something, He hid his the Gold in a Cave, when he got out of Prison, he found the location was now under Lake mead which is a result of Hoover(Boulder) Dam. It will still involve Dive Gear, and I have a Whites PI 3000. If it is there, it will find it.
    Hi there! What is a Whites PI 3000? Is it a detector you can use underwater or an underwater unit that helps propel you through the water? I did look at the White's detectors but I don't remember the model number of the one I wanted but I know it was not one that went underwater. I hope you do find the treasure! :p Are you planning a trip soon? Please document your travel and search and share with us when you do go. Was this information found in your books or a story passed down from generation to generation, research from newspapers?? I know, I have too many questions but my mind is going 100 miles an hour thinking about all this stuff. :p
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
    The PI 3000 Underwater Detector is a couple of years old.
    The story was in the Book, I would like to say, He worked with my uncle, And told him about the story, Cause he can't get it and "You Kan't breathe underwater".
    The Story is in a couple of books, a little info in each.
    Years would pass before technology would make it more accessible.
    The 3 Gourges Dam in China, Don't know progress currently, But it will Bury a wealth of Information, and Artifacts. Lot of Nice Old History, and Artwork.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 09:32 PM
    The PI 3000 Underwater Detector is a couple of years old.
    The story was in the Book, I would like to say, He worked with my uncle, And told him about the story, Cause he can't get it and "You Kan't breathe underwater".
    The Story is in a couple of books, a little info in each.
    Years would pass before technology would make it more accessable.
    The 3 Gourges Dam in China, Don't know progress currently, But it will Bury a wealth of Information, and Artifacts. Lot of Nice Old History, and Artwork.
    How colorful is this! :p

I am anxious to try to locate the books. What is this about the 3 Gourges Dam in China? I would like to know more about it and why on earth would they choose to bury all that would lie beneath? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 10:24 PM

Very Excitng Story & this type of thing certainly wets the appetite! It reminds me of the Lost Dutchman Mine... not that I've ever been anywhere near it, but I'd love to have the chance someday to dig my teeth into the search for something along those lines!

The closest I have come is an old newspaper story about a robbery in my area that supposedly involved $100,000 in gold that was never found, and reportedly buried at the base of an old oak tree approximately one to two miles upstream from where the river empties into Lake Erie...

The newspaper article was over a hundred years old and was supposedly about the deathbed words of a man who died in his late eighties who had buried it about 70 years before... He had apparently been in jail or far away and never able to reclaim his gold... later newspaper clippings suggested that the story was made up as a hoax to sell tools by the local hardware store? Evidently the store was willing to sell tools at a bargain to searchers... and it seemed that many holes were found in pasture lands that were quite upsetting to farmers... no report of any gold finds were found in the paper.

Of course after all this time, the trees would all be different... but the story remains with me.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
    I believe the 3 Gourges Dam is mostly for Power Generation, probably water distribution also.
    What I see a problem currently, is the need to Deal with Hoover Dam, Millions gallons of water goes to Feeding Vegas, and then the Lights, Electricity. There is only so much water.
    The level is currently very low. Do you give up water or electricity first?
    Hope the don't have a drought. I love Nevada, I hope Growth slows.

Oneguyinohio, That gold may be in the river, also that tree may be a stump, or a depression where it was removed?
    Here is a link to current auctions for those atlasses. Didn't see the price I got them for, but they are available:

treasure atlas, Maps, Atlases, Globes, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com.

Jrebel, oneguyin Ohio, anyone else. Give location near you, and will see what I have, and Post back. I just got volunteered to go to store, will check back later. Take Care.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Hey there Stratmando, thank you for the offer to see what you might find in your books about our areas of interest. We were in a three car crash this evening... not really hurt, just shook up. Got broadsided on my side of the car so giving it up a little early tonight. But I guarantee, I will get back with you probably tomorrow evening and give you information. Thanks again. I am really excited the way this thread is progressing and appreciate so much those who are posting. Tomorrow then! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 09:18 PM
    I'm interested in anything in northern Ohio... but not in Lake Erie as in plane crashes or ship wrecks since I never got around to those scuba diving lessons...
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Sorry to hear about the accident, Hope all is well, or will be well. Going to work, will post Northern Ohio later. Or as Mel Fisher used to ALWAYS say in reference to Treasure Hunting, "Todays the Day". The fact is, it took him years to find the "Atocha".
    Before he passed, He showed me a Infrared Image from space, of the lower keys, then pointed to a Dark spot on the map, and said, "Thats treasure". I hope his Family is checking that out, has been a couple of years now, Who knows?
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 04:52 PM
    "Today's the Day!" I love it! LOL We should keep that attitude with which to face each new day! I am like Oneguy! I never got around to those scuba diving lessons either! Ten Killer Lake and Green Leaf Lake are close to us also. A friend of mine use to teach scuba diving at Ten Killer when I was in college. I should have taken him up on his offer for free lessons! I almost drowned when I was five. My dad had to jump in, Sunday suit and all, to save me. I swim, I dive, I use to live at the lake, but seeing some of the size of the spoon bill catfish brought in at Ft. Gibson Dam area, I much prefer a swimming pool these days. LOL After getting snake bit by a water mocassin a few years ago while we were fishing, I am even a bit more skiddish than I ever have been of being in the brushy area. I use to be, "Full Steam Ahead" attitude. I am a little more cautious now. :(

I live in an are known as "Green Country" in Oklahoma. We live in the three Rivers area where the Arkansas, Verdigris and Grand converge, known as Three Forks. The surrounding towns are Muskogee, Ft. Gibson, Wagoner, Tahlequah, Tulsa. The Illinois River runs around Tahlequah, an area rich with Indian Heritage, with swift currents, canoeing, fishing, etc. The water runs clear and deep in some pooled areas, shallow with rock bottom, just beautiful. Cherokee Center is there in Tahlequah. Creek Council House is in Okmulgee, 50 miles from here. There was a Trading Post just a mile or so south of our house. Ft. Gibson is a town close to us but there is the actual fort still standing with officer quarters, barracks, etc. I like to go there and just try to visualize being there without the houses and town around. The Grand River runs just behind it. There is more shoreline in Oklahoma than the Pacific and Atlantic Coast put together. I am sure the area around the Fort has been gone over with a fine tooth comb so to speak long years past. But around the river areas, flint washes up and is uncovered. One of our favorite places to hunt for them was completely covered when they raised the water for navigation. Fort Davis was a confederate fort established during the civil war, just down the road from where we live (doens't exist any longer) to keep an eye on the Union Fort, Fort Gibson (built before the civil war. This was of course, when Oklahoma was still Inidan Territory, not a state. We became a state in 1907). There is a place called "The Big Mounds" which is located about a mile from our house but on private propterty now. One of these mounds was taken down and the artifacts were taken out of it and taken the University of Oklahoma. Anyway, would love knowing if there are rumors or stories of hidden treasures in the area but also wanted to share a little about this area where I live. Sam Houston's home was located just off the Grand River before he left and went to Texas.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Sorry to hear about the accident, Hope all is well, or will be well. Going to work, will post Northern Ohio later. Or as Mel Fisher used to ALWAYS say in reference to Treasure Hunting, "Todays the Day". The fact is, it took him years to find the "Atocha".
    Before he passed, He showed me a Infrared Image from space, of the lower keys, then pointed to a Dark spot on the map, and said, "Thats treasure". I hope his Family is checking that out, has been a couple of years now, Who knows?
    Thank you for your well wishes! I went to the Chiropractor today. My neck was out of whack, my right side was in spasms, my rib a bit quickie, causing heart rate to be up but I feel pretty good right now! Will be anxious to read new posts later tonight from everyone. I am going to look up "Atocah". I am clueless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search