Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Hi, Jan!

I am wondering if you or someone who might see this thread has an answer to the question that I asked in post #19?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, Jan!

I am wondering if you or someone who might see this thread has an answer to the question that I asked in post #19?
    Hi Craig,
    My first impulse when I read the post #19 was to say that any piece of flint, that has been worked in any manner with the pattern consistent with the arrowhead or bird point, ceremonial point or tool or weapon, would be worth something. However, that was speaking from my heart not head knowledge. I was just about to do some research and got caught up on a call with Denise! I am off the phone now so will research a bit and get back with you in a few minutes! Okie Dokie?? :)
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Thank you, Jan! That's just fine! Based upon what you have just now stated, it might appear that collecting, trading and selling arrowheads or other artifacts for that matter, might be very much like coin collecting and art collecting, trading and selling because of the different degrees of wear and tear, quality of design and the design itself incorporated on the artifacts. Just a thought...
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Thank you, Jan! That's just fine! Based upon what you have just now stated, it might appear that collecting, trading and selling arrowheads or other artifacts for that matter, might be very much like coin collecting and art collecting, trading and selling because of the different degrees of wear and tear, quality of design and the design itself incorporated on the artifacts. Just a thought...
    You're welcome Craig! I did research and even signed in to another type of forum similar to this one. Haven't learned much yet. The info I found was quite interesting. I believe you are 100 % accurate in thinking this type of collecting, trading, and selling arrowheads or other artifacts is probably very much like coin collecting.

One thing the archaeologists shared with us is that as civilization progressed, the art of arrowhead and tool making diminished. The Indians would reshape old arrowheads rather than taking as much pride in making their own. Sadly we see the same progression in all facets of life.

We have some arrowheads that are marked as "Archaic" and some have the estimated age. These are pieces that were given to us, not pieces we have found. We are not knowledgeable enough for that! :( We found a thumb scraper in our garden. It is perfect. It was used to scrape the insides of small hides. We have some drills but those were given to us also.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:26 PM
    I remember seeing one piece, well, a photo of the piece, when we were in the meeting I spoke about in an earlier post. It sold for $7,000.00 for a private collection. For some reason, when I heard that, it sort of made me feel sad. Our friends donated pieces to museums in the states they found the pieces for others to enjoy and I respected that but with the economy the way it is, well... who knows what I would do in a pinch! LOL I think I could sell coins much easier than I could an arrowhead, birdpoint, or tool but I am sure some coin collectors feel very protective over their special finds also. We each have our passions in life. I will keep a check on that other forum for a bit though, just in case, you and I can learn something that might make us not have to have another financial care in the world! That sounds kind of wonderful, you know?? LOL
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Did we lose "Oneguyinohio"? I liked his stories and his interest in the past.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Hello, I'm still keeping up. Been distracted with genealogy research and work stuff.

I wanted to mention that a lot of people are going to great lengths to make counterfeit indian artifacts. They are selling these as originals in a lot of outlets.

I recently saw a workshop where an older guy had grinders, polishers, and all sorts of tools for faking the items. He had been doing it for a number of years. He must have had a truck load of scraps scattered around the workshop as well as supplies to fill a semi trailer. He died a lonely old man so he is no longer doing it, but it taught me a lesson about buying items.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Did we lose "Oneguyinohio"? I liked his stories and his interest in the past.
    No. He's just been busy. He is back, above! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Hello, I'm still keeping up. Been distracted with geneology research and work stuff.

I wanted to mention that a lot of people are going to great lengths to make counterfeit indian artifacts. They are selling these as originals in a lot of outlets.

I recently saw a workshop where an older guy had grinders, polishers, and all sorts of tools for faking the items. He had been doing it for a number of years. He must have had a truck load of scraps scattered around the workshop as well as supplies to fill a semi trailer. He died a lonely old man so he is no longer doing it, but it taught me a lesson about buying items.
    Hi there! Glad to see you back on this thread. You gave good information. Always good to be aware there is always someone out there trying to take our joy of the find away!! I guess as with all other things "Let the buyer beware!"

I hope you will share more stories when you have time. I have more photos I would enjoy sharing but it is 2:48 a.m. and I think I better get off here for now. I will be checking back tomorrow though!

Until later then!
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Wait! Don't go! The night is young yet! :)

I didn't tell you yet about the big stone that I found in the ground when I originally rototilled the area for my vegetable garden a number of years ago!
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 09:53 PM

I didn't tell you yet about the big stone that I found in the ground when I originally rototilled the area for my vegetable garden a number of years ago!
    :p Just when I am winding down... you are just getting your second wind!! LOL

Ok, don't keep me in suspense!! What about the big stone you found in the ground?? :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
    I too am wondering about the big stone? Oh, and I wanted to mention that my mom found an Indian's head once when they were gardening... well, a buffalo indian head nickel anyway...
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I too am wondering about the big stone? Oh, and I wanted to mention that my mom found an Indian's head once when they were gardening... well, a buffalo indian head nickle anyways...
    Oneguy, you had me going there for a moment!! The mind was racing with questions. :p One never knows! LOL
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
    This is a grouping of some artifacts found in my garden and some given to us by our friends who have now passed away. Some of the points are bird points and some ceremonial points, so tiny. What talent to be able to make these tiny points from flint rock. I cannot even imagine. After the holidays, if there is interest in these pieces, I will rephotograph them with a ruler or some sort of reference for size.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:40 AM

Hey Craig,
    Are you going to tell us?? :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:46 AM
    All this talk about old artifacts has contributed to me wanting to wear some really old style clothing... well, more of a blanket I guess like I believe people wore long ago. Any ideas about finding something like the Indians wore in the old movies, that would be socially acceptable and not have people laughing at me? I'm sort of thinking about a ponch or blanket type thing with a whole cut out to put head through... Is that too odd??
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:54 AM
    All this talk about old artifacts has contributed to me wanting to wear some really old style clothing... well, more of a blanket I guess like I believe people wore long ago. Any ideas about finding something like the Indians wore in the old movies, that would be socially acceptable and not have people laughing at me? I'm sort of thinking about a ponch or blanket type thing with a whole cut out to put head through... Is that too odd???
    Well Oneguy, you are talking to a gal from the hippie days so I doubt you could get "too odd" with the clothes for me. I was always coming up with something original, unlike the mainstream hippies, so to speak. I never quite got that time when I was in college and the big deal was be an individual then everyone dressed alike, did drugs, etc. I did my own thing, never did drugs, never took a drink of alcohol, rode a motocyle and dressed my own way and I admire people who do so I say go for it!! I even was known as the "iconoclastic" (breaker of images) one in college that changed the dress codes but that is a story for another thread I guess. LOL

I will do some research and come up with something for you for sure. It will have to be tomorrow though. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 01:01 AM
    Sounds real good, and you're giving me some courage to go for it! Going to bed now myself. Good night.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 01:04 AM
    If you wish, meet me on the thread tomorrow night and I will try to have some ideas for you. I love it!
    Good night! Sleep well. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Hi Oneguy!
    Just had a moment before running to the Nursing Home to help with my mother's care. Wanted to send a link for you to look at to see if this is anything like you have in mind or something even more simple. Let me know. I love this stuff. I have to leave now but will check later tonight. Have a good day!

MEN'S CLINT EASTWOOD WESTERN STYLE COWBOY PONCHO - (eBay item 230202696963 end time Dec-18-07 18:29:06 PST)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search