Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Jan 10, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Well, to me...Gay marriage is just fine.

As far as MY interpretation of the Bible goes: If homosexuality is a sin, then incest is okay (Lot and his daughters) and so is tricking your brother out of his inheritance (Jacob and Esau). It's also a sin to masturbate (isn't someone struck down for spilling his seed on the ground?) and everyone should have to marry their widowed in-laws.

If you try to tell me that THOSE are just cultural differences of the times--well, I'm gonna tell you that being gay is too. The reason (from MY interpretation) that being gay was bad is that god only wanted sex for children. Well...if you're not trying to have kids, then, you shouldn't be having sex! (by those standards).

Love is love. There is so much hate in this world already, why are we NOT celebrating love wherever it is found?
    Well... lets see... firstly we must understand that even the righteous men of the Bible fell, and also that "incest" at one point wasn't a sin. Actually it was necessary consdering everything began with one man and one woman.
    The Bible mentions masturbation as a shameful act, which I personally wouldn't want to displease God, but that's you. However, if you need stimulation consisting of lust, any type, yeah that's sin.
    As far as widowed in laws, there were 4 different types of convenants, 3 of which have been fulfilled, blood, israeli, moral and dietary. All of which but the moral have been fulfilled. The marrying widows law pertained to the israelites.
    The moral laws, such as the ten commandments and everything mentioned as abomination and such, still stand, and they stand firm.
    ~Ash
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr
    everything mentioned as abomination and such, still stand, and they stand firm.
    So we are to abide by them all?
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Jan 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    So we are to abide by them all?
    What do you think?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 12:53 AM
    I asked first.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 12:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr
    What do you think?

I think that while some of the IDEAS in the Bible are great---unless you live by ALL of them, then don't start quoting just one or two of them to me.

I also think that this is exactly the reason I'm NOT Christian. I don't HAVE to call it a sin, then. And... marriage is a valid Wiccan tradition too--and most Wiccans don't have a problem with same sex couples. So--let the same-sex couples get married in the Wiccan faith, and there's no problem, then, right? I mean, it's not a CHRISTIAN marriage, it's a WICCAN marriage.

I just hate the fact that people are so dead set against the use of the word "marriage". Want to call it by the Sanskrit name for marriage, then? Or the Roman word? I don't care!

I agree with what someone else said earlier--gay couples aren't destroying the "sanctity" of marriage--straight couples are doing a great job of it themselves, with the high divorce rate.
    chris36 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    Are you for or against Gay Marriage?
    All for it! Gay people are human just like the rest of us.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 10, 2008, 01:40 AM
    I believe you can't help who you fall in love with
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfirefly
    i believe you can't help who you fall in love with
    Gay or straight, this is a dangerous belief.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 06:31 AM
    You do have choices though, and you can help what you do, about who you love. Its called dealing with reality.
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I would say that there are 3 types of people that are affiliated with the gay marriage debate:

1st type: is the kind of person who is against it because A.) They are extremely religious and believe that it is immoral and against God's wishes or B.) They have a vengeance on someone who affected them in that way (ie:their parenter left them for the opposite sex, their daughter or son became gay etc.)

2nd type: is the kind of person who really doesn't give a crap about what someone else does with their life as long as it doesn't involve them

3rd type: is the kind of person who is all for it because A.) They are gay B.) They have a daughter/son or realitive who is gay C.) They are neither gay nor bi but feel strongly for a free will country

This debate is depended on the majority beliefs. Can you guess which one it is? And tell me, which kind of person are you?
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alyssarox32
    And tell me, which kind of person are you?
    The kind who doesn't divide the world into two or more kinds of people.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
    This debate is depended on the majority beliefs. Can you guess which one it is? And tell me, which kind of person are you?
    Hello alyssarox:

Actually what the majority believes has NOTHING to do with it. It's what the Constitution says that matters.

Let's see. I'm not against it. I don't care how people live. I don't care about people's free will. I Do, however, give a crap about peoples rights. I'm not gay.

I never have fit anybody's mold….. S'fine with me.

excon

PS> The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution says that we ALL are afforded "equal protection under the law".

How can it be equal when heterosexual couples get government benefits, that homosexual ones don't?
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jan 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
    One could argue a topic like this for years and years.

I personally am against same sex marriage. I am Catholic and do believe it to be a sin, however, I come to the conclusion not based solely on what the Bible or other religious works say about it.

I just think it is an un-natural thing,homosexuality in general. I mean the human body was made for specific reasons and man figured outlong ago that if you put this there it feels good and sometimes a small little person comes out in te near future. It makes sense, putting something where it does not belong is un-natural. The penetration of the tool into a place that is not intended for it to go is again, un-natural. Viewing it like this makes sense to me and it is consistent with religious teachings, I believe the Bible refers to the act as an abomination and the Koran mentions it being un-natural as well.

I take no issue with those who are gay, I sin too and so my sins of being straight may be even or even more serious than that of a gay person, so I have no issue with the individuals themselves. However, if any one agrees that it is un-natural human behaviour, it would stand to reason that one would not support marriages and openly flaunting exhibits from the gay population. My city has a HUGE parade in the summer and I don't support it being so "out in public" because I do believe it is a sin.

Jan 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Who says I was "dividing" the world into kinds of people? I was talking about the issue of gay marriage not dividing everybody whatever that means. Get your facts right ordinaryguy!

Jan 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Yea, and even the people who took part in the constitution had opinions. It was based on their opinions (or beliefs) and the majority opinion won. Good thought about the 14th amendment though. Maybe you should look into that and when you're deciding who is president, maybe you should consider that factor.
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I am for it. As long as they keep to there selves and I don’t mean socializing with other people I mean showing affection to one another in public. All the power to them. WOOT :)
    preciousbaby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 12:45 PM
    I agree you can't help who you fall in love with either a man or a woman when you fall in love it just happens and you can't stop who you fall in love with
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Who says I was "dividing" the world into kinds of people? I was talking about the issue of gay marriage not dividing everybody whatever that means. Get your facts right ordinaryguy!
    I didn't say anything about you. You asked what kind of person I was, and I answered the question.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    I am for it. As long as they keep to there selves and I don't mean socializing with other people I mean showing affection to one another in public. All the power to them. WOOT :)
    So do you get offended when a hetero couple show affection in public?

Jan 10, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Questionshelp:
    Obviously not all the power to them, because you have some sort of problem with them showing affection in public. Hey, maybe they think it it totally revolting when you show affection in public.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

I don't know what to do about my marriage [ 5 Answers ]

Well a month ago I wrote on here about how I had a crush on my husband's best friend but that is fading away some. I still like him but I know we can't be together so there is no point. I have decided I need to put some energy into my marriage and tried to talk to my husband about our marriage. He...

Considering Marriage somewhat soon. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I know you guys/gals probably get this all the time, am I/We ready... I met my girlfriend on vacation a little over a year ago, and we talked several times week over the phone. ( I lived in another state) and I flew to see her once or twice a month at best. Well In May of last year we made...

Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

I found out soon after my husband and I had a baby that he was intimately talking with one of his ex's basically telling her that he wished she had his baby instead of me and also leading her to believe that he was going to leave me for her. He also had contacted another ex saying that he loved...

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

View more questions Search