Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    You're fighting the last war--the one over whether sodomy laws are constitutional. That war is over, and your side lost, sorry.

THIS debate is about whether citizens who are not lawbreakers can be denied the right that other citizens have to enter into binding legal contracts that protect their property and family rights, solely on the basis of their private, and now legal, sexual behavior.
    As I pointed out to Excon, it is about law and not rights. Laws are written and sometimes rescinded and one day my side, as you put it, may yet again prevail.

Sodomy laws were overturned and a right to privacy prevailed; but that is a far cry from legalizing sodomy i.e. “slosh around in each others excrement.”:o
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
    excon
    Do our tax laws protect everyone equally…not in my opinion? So just what does EQUAL protection under the law mean? Well, as I understand it we may be hearing from the Supreme Court on it.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Out of curiosity--do "good Christians" have sex for pleasure and not procreation?

Because seriously--that's the REAL debate here: whether a sexual act can produce offspring, not whether it's "dirty". By your definition, ORAL sex between partners should be bad too--and having sex any time on a woman's period, or basically using birth control.

If sex for pleasure is okay, then why can't ANY sex for pleasure be okay?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    As I pointed out to Excon, it is about law and not rights.
    Of course it's about rights. What else are laws for if not to protect and enforce rights?
    Laws are written and sometimes rescinded and one day my side, as you put it, may yet again prevail.
    Perhaps, but until then, sodomy is not against the law.
    Sodomy laws were overturned and a right to privacy prevailed; but that is a far cry from legalizing sodomy i.e. “slosh around in each others excrement.”:o
    No, it is not a far cry from legalizing sodomy. That's what "overturned" means--laws that forbid it are invalid and unenforceable. However much you despise it, and however grossly you characterize it, sodomy is now legal behavior. Nobody can be arrested and prosecuted for it. Get over it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
    You missed the distinction between natural rights and government granted rights. A key aspect of this intellectual tradition is the notion that natural rights are not created by government but exist anterior to it and that governments are in fact created to “secure these rights.” My contention was and is, is that there is no natural Right for two men to slosh around in each others excrement.

But hay, if it suits you and the majority what can I say. The ruling by the court did not specifically write a law that said this sloshing around was legal; it is still of course illegal except in privacy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Well actually sodomy is still on the laws of many states as illegal, but merely not allowed to be enforced because of current supreme court ruleings. The reason these states leave the laws on the books, but not they can not be enforced, so that if the courts ever rule they can enforce them, they will already be in place and on the books.

And of course there is no natural right for homosexual activity, and there is no constitutional rights even under the US constitution.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
    My contention was and is, is that there is no natural Right for two men to slosh around in each others excrement.
    Contend as much as you like. Natural or not, it is no longer an illegal act.
    The ruling by the court did not specifically write a law that said this sloshing around was legal
    Courts don't write laws, that's the legislature's job. Courts determine the validity and enforceability of laws, and in this instance, they ruled that the law is invalid and unenforceable.
    it is still of course illegal except in privacy.
    Sure, having sex in public is illegal no matter who does it or what is sloshed around in, which of course has nothing whatever to do with the topic under discussion.

You seem to be really fixated on this "sloshing around in excrement" terminology. Does that mean you're OK with lesbian or other homosexual acts that don't involve anal penetration? Are you equally incensed by heterosexual couples that do it? Do you think they should be denied the right to marry as well?
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And of course there is no natural right for homosexual activity
    Whether it's a "natural" right or not is immaterial. It is not illegal, and nobody can be arrested and prosecuted for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    and there is no constitutional rights even under the US constitution.
    On the contrary, the U.S. Constitution guarantees the rights of equal protection under the law, and due process of law to EVERYONE.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Whatever you mean by "natural" and whether you think homosexuality is or isn't such, the point is that homosexuality is no longer illegal. People who commit homosexual acts are not breaking the law. So there is no legal basis for denying them the right that the rest of us have to enter into binding and enforceable legal contracts to protect their property and family rights. If it makes you feel better to use a different word to refer to their contracts, I doubt that most of them would care, as long as the legal effect is the same.
    The fact is that Marriage is meant to be between a man and a women. That is a fact.

Gay marriage, well if they want to live common law that is their choice. As far as Marriage the fact remains that Church marriage, Religion marriage is about a man and a women coming together in a family unit. To create a family unit for future generations. Nothing can change that. Not even wording.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Yes due process, they get the rights to sue and the rights to our courts.

As for as equal protection, yes, they can marry someone of the other sex anytime they want. There is no special protetion for them What they want is extra and special rights, They are not listed as a protected right.
    In fact is is not politically correct ( and thank God I am not) but to speak the truth about such relastionships is also a right, to free speech.

And as was mentioned, while I see the morals of american going down quickly, so I doubt that homosexually will be illegal ever again, but I can hope and pray that America would turn from its sin, before God turns from America
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
    I don’t believe most Christians would agree that “Good Christians” engage in sloshing around in excrement.
    What cave have you been hiding in?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 08:00 PM
    a crime against humanity
    Yes, gay sex is certainly on par with genocide, apartheid, forced sterilization, slavery, torture...

All on the same page in my book!

:rolleyes:
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Yes, gay sex is certainly on par with genocide, apartheid, forced sterilization, slavery, torture...

All on the same page in my book!

:rolleyes:
    So true, it is part of a whole that is lowering society to unknow levels of human destruction.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 08:10 PM
    It has been requested that the post be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

I don't know what to do about my marriage [ 5 Answers ]

Well a month ago I wrote on here about how I had a crush on my husband's best friend but that is fading away some. I still like him but I know we can't be together so there is no point. I have decided I need to put some energy into my marriage and tried to talk to my husband about our marriage. He...

Considering Marriage somewhat soon. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I know you guys/gals probably get this all the time, am I/We ready... I met my girlfriend on vacation a little over a year ago, and we talked several times week over the phone. ( I lived in another state) and I flew to see her once or twice a month at best. Well In May of last year we made...

Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

I found out soon after my husband and I had a baby that he was intimately talking with one of his ex's basically telling her that he wished she had his baby instead of me and also leading her to believe that he was going to leave me for her. He also had contacted another ex saying that he loved...

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

View more questions Search