Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GBSA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Trypsin
    I want to know please if trypsin is : endopeptidase / lipase / polymerase /exopeptidase / nuclease ? Can you please tell me which one is the correct answer and to tell about all of them ? :o
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:29 AM
    See here and here.
    kennethcondon2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GBSA
    i want to know please if trypsin is : endopeptidase / lipase / polymerase /exopeptidase / nuclease ? can you please tell me which one is the correct answer and to tell about all of them ? :o
    Trypsin is an enzyme with an optimal temperature of 37°C. More specifically it is part of a group of enzymes known as serine endopeptidases. Peptidases cleave the peptide bonds that keep proteins in chains. "Endo-" means that the specific bond being cleaved is not at either terminal end of the chain. Serine endopeptidases have a serine residue in the active site of the enzyme1. Trypsin is synthesised in the pancreatic acinar sells and secreted in the small intestine as inactive trypsinogen. In the small intestine, the enzyme enterokinase (by proteolytic cleavage) converts trypsinogen to the active form – trypsin2. Trypsin is the enzyme responsible for catalysing the hydrolysis of insoluble proteins. More specifically, trypsin cleaves the peptide bond between arginine and lysine to produce smaller chains of more soluble peptides and amino acids for further digestion and absorption. As well as being used in digestion, trypsin is also needed in the blood in the conversion of plasminogen to plasmin4. Plasmin is an enzyme that dissolves the fibrin in blood clots.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Kenneh, many thanks for your contribution to the site, but please make sure to check the age of posts that you are replying to, this one was created in 2005! It is unlikely that the OP will ever return here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enzyme Trypsin - biology [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on a course work on enzymes for my GCSE Biology. I need to know more about the enzyme Trypsin - can you please provide details of this enzyme's characteristics, how does it work and what does it do and when does it reach optimum activity in relation to temperature and pH?

View more questions Search