Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Do I need a trap for the utility sink too?
    I hope this hasn't been asked already... I'm installing a utility sink in my garage and I would like to tee it's drain into my washing machine's drainpipe (not sure of the term). The top of the washer's drainpipe is 35" from the floor and has a trap (about 14.5"). if i install a 45 degree wye above the washer's trap (1"-2"), do I need to install another trap for the sink too? Will this setup work? Will this setup cause drainage issues for the washer and/or sink? Am I forgeting anything?
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
    If you don't install a trap you will get the gas smell from the washer line...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdavy_p
    i hope this hasn't been asked already........i'm installing a utility sink in my garage and i would like to tee it's drain into my washing machine's drainpipe (not sure of the term). the top of the washer's drainpipe is 35" from the floor and has a trap (about 14.5"). if i install a 45 degree wye above the washer's trap (1"-2"), do i need to install another trap for the sink too? will this setup work? will this setup cause drainage issues for the washer and/or sink? am i forgeting anything?
    I hate to rain on Plumbermans parade but he's dead wrong about the trap.
    It's against code to double trap fixtures and the washer trap will service both the washer and the sink. The only possible problem that I can see is you may get some suds up in the sink from the elevation of the wye 16 inches or so off the floor )although that's iffy. And if you do a basket strainer can seal off the sink while you're doing the wash. Good luck, Tom
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I hate to rain on Plumbermans parade but he's dead wrong about the trap.
    It's against code to double trap fixtures and the washer trap will service both the washer and the sink. The only possible problem that I can see is you may get some suds up in the sink from the elevation of the wye 16 inches or so off the floor )although that's iffy. And if you do a basket strainer can seal off the sink while you're doing the wash. Good luck, Tom
    If he puts the line in front of the washer trap he WILL get the washer line smell even if it is not what code says
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
    I don't get it. Why should adding a wye above the trap let more smell out than the open washer stand pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberman
    if he puts the line in front of the washer trap he WILL get the washer line smell even if it is not what code says
    Let's see. He has a trapped stand pipe with a open end. He then adds a wye upstream from the trap on that same stand pipe. Now explain to me how the odor's worse at the wye then it is at the open standpipe since the same trap seal has trapped the sewer gas from both the stand pipe and the wye. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a bathroon sink with a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my bathroom sink with a utility sink but the plumbing drain pipes are smaller than the utility sink fittings. Do I have to cut them off ,they seem to be glued on very tight.is there an adaptor I can use .I have no plumbing knowledge at all(as you can see)and little money to spend....

Stink from utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

Stink from utility sink

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

Adding a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on adding a utility sink to my laundry room, I was planning on tapping into the water lines and drain to the washer. I have not opened up the wall yet so I don't know the exact configuration of the drain, but my question is if I run the sink drain of off the drain from the washer...

View more questions Search