Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ray steward Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Backup to USB Flash drive
    I want to copy some programs to a USB flash drive however whenever I try all I get is the short cut, which is going to be useless if reinstall my windows XP.
    I could do with some advice on how to overcome this.
    Any help gtatefully received.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ray steward
    I want to copy some programs to a USB flash drive however whenever I try all I get is the short cut, which is going to be useless if reinstall my windows XP.
    I could do with some advice on how to overcome this.
    Any help gtatefully received.

Try drag the mouse cursor over the files to highlight them, press CRTL-C (CTRL button first and then hit C while holing CTRL down). This will copy the files.

Then open the USB Drive folder, and press CTRL-V (that will paste a copy of the files into that location)
    jaspreet2142 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Ray, what do you mean by programs
    Are they setup files or installed programs??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Sounds like you are trying to copy the shortcut. You can't copy an installed programs, you have to copy the original installtion files.

Dec 2, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Thanks gents
    TJ3 no luck with your method so far, will eep trying
    Jaspreet It's the installed programs
    Scottgem I'm going to Start then programs the installation files do not seem to be available

Dec 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    They wouldn't be. You need to go back to the disk or file you installed from.

Dec 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    They wouldn't be. You need to go back to the disk or file you installed from.
    jaspreet2142 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 05:25 PM
    You can't run the installed program just by copying it on else where
    Becoz when we install a program on computer thy do many things like registering software, making registry key etc

If you want to back up your software then do this

Go to my computer right click the partition you want to back up then go to tools tab and click the backup button and follow the instructions

Dec 4, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Thanks to all, I will now try the backup to DVD method, there are many programs for that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Hello ray:

I don't know about you, but I don't see any reason to back up programs that I already have the disks for or can download again. I only back up my personal data, and a flash drive is perfect for that.

excon

Dec 4, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Thanks excon, I'll learn!

Dec 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
    There are basically two types of backups; a file backup and system backup. The purpose of the system backup is to replace your entire hard drive if it has to be replaced. Software like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image is best for that as it makes a sector by sector image of your drive.

A file backup protects your data if a file is accidentally deleted or you need to go back to an earlier version. Such a backup is only necessary for data files.

A full system backup can save you time eliminating the need to reinstall the OS and programs, but as long as you have your installation disks you don't absolutely need a system backup.
    askjuba Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Check this that I found:

eHomeUpgrade | Move Me - Transfer Installed Applications, Settings, Files from One PC to Another

Maybe this will do the trick and this is what you are looking for, have never tried it so if someone has please comment, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restoring a Flash Drive (instead of re-formatting it) [ 26 Answers ]

I have a flash drive with a number of items on it that I need. When I go to access the drive, which I have used for the past couple of months, I now get an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and needs to be formatted. I know that if I re-format it, I'll lose all my work on...

Imation Flash Drive [ 2 Answers ]

My Imation Flash Drive 2.0 (2 GB) is not respondin any PC, Why? Help me. Muneer

Restoring a flash drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2.5 gig flash drive that I can no longer access. I'd like to not loose the data on it, but the most important thing is to make the drive useful again. effbee

Flash drive write protected [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ,I having 128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company.for some unknown reason that showing "write protected ,disable it to use" message is coming.I tried several ways but not succeeded.how to disable that write protected flash drive.presently it allows to copy from the drive but not to that drive and...

Backup drive [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me if there is a way to stop half my hard drive from being used for backup by xp. This feature in my opion is usless because twice in the last year when I had a computer problem it wouldn't boot so I had to reinstall by the factory disk and erase everything. Vinny

View more questions Search