Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -schumacher- Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Bad debts
    Hi, I'm doing an accounting question and I can't get my trial balance to balance I think its something to do with how I'm accounting for the bad debts. If I have sales of 4,200,000 made evenly throughout the year and customers are allowed a months credit and halfway during the year one of the customers goes bankrupt owing 15000 but expects to be able pay 5000, the company adjusts its bad debt provision to 5%. Last years provision was 6000. What are the journal entries for this? And how would it appear in the trial balance?
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2007, 03:36 PM
    I am not sure but I think it will be like this:

Debt written off (Expense) Debit 10000

Provision for bad debts (Expense) Credit 10000

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debts collection [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I was making payments of $50.00 a month to a collection agency on a bill of $8,000.00 which they accepted for about a year. They then wanted more money and refused payments. I stopped paying for over a year and then started paying $25.00 per month which they acceppted for about 6 months,...

Old debts [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid I highly doubt I have the proof that this was paid. Can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

What do I do about debts? [ 2 Answers ]

All of credit cards went to collection and total is 6. Can't pay debt since in school and make too little part time job. Debt range from $78 to many in the thousands (3500). Total credit default debt = 13000. Student loans good standing 40000. What to do? Afraid some collection agency can sue....

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search