Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tishamarie1013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Sewage smell from sink drains in main bath and kitchin sink
    We just bought our first house they ran a new sewage line from all sinks,toilets,tubs,and washer to main line and replace main line to city main. The main bath sink is the worst it smells my sons room and hall way. Is the pipe to small main is 4in and vent is 2in. We have 2 full baths with sinks,toilets,one tub/shower,and one shower in other one. Kitchen has dishwasher,garbage disposal, and laundry room next to it. Kitchen is farthest away and vent in middle of pipe run and trap at beginning of run before it leaves house. What worries me is first toilet don't flush well at all. Last week we had a slight problem over thanksgiving both toilets overflowed and was clogged we tried running snake through cleanout opening but was unsuccessful. We ended up pulling both toilets and kitchen sink trap to run power snake through. Now drains flow, main toilet flushes fine but sinks still stink and front toilet don't flush well its mounted correctly and main acting up again. Ran a toilet snake through both toilets. This house is a plumbers dream all cpvc pipes 2in off hot water heater one hanger for 20 ft. runs 2or more butt connectors at every fixture with no or very little hold downs main tub outlet is cpvc and broken off once that I know of. Was planning all to renew water supplies with copper and correct amount of hold downs next month but now its on hold another month till I fix drains
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 09:52 AM
    We just bought our first house they ran a new sewage line from all sinks,toilets,tubs,and washer to main line and replace main line to city main.

How long ago did you buy the house and was a plumbing contractor used to do the replacement?

The main bath sink is the worst it smells my sons room and hall way.

Could be a clogged vent line or a sewer leak under the house

Is the pipe to small main is 4in and vent is 2in. We have 2 full baths with sinks,toilets,one tub/shower,and one shower in other one.

That is standard size and should have no problems carrying the load of baths.

Kitchen has dishwasher,garbage disposal, and laundry room next to it. Kitchen is farthest away and vent in middle of pipe run and trap at beginning of run before it leaves house.

Not sure what you mean here.

What worries me is first toilet don't flush well at all.

How old is the WC? What name brand is it? Could be as simple as the water jets are not all the way open or something could be hung up in the WC

Last week we had a slight problem over thanksgiving both toilets overflowed and was clogged we tried running snake through cleanout opening but was unsuccessful. We ended up pulling both toilets and kitchen sink trap to run power snake through.

So the clogg was under the house and not in the yard? Again was a contractor used to do the replacement work?

Now drains flow, main toilet flushes fine but sinks still stink and front toilet don't flush well its mounted correctly and main acting up again.

Check and see if the problem is on the city side of the line…when it was tied in it may not have been done right and that is causing the problem.

Ran a toilet snake through both toilets. This house is a plumbers dream all cpvc pipes 2in off hot water heater one hanger for 20 ft. runs 2or more butt connectors at every fixture with no or very little hold downs main tub outlet is cpvc and broken off once that I know of. Was planning all to renew water supplies with copper and correct amount of hold downs next month but now its on hold another month till I fix drains

I would suggest using pex to replace the water lines…it does not freeze and has a 25 year warranty. It is also cheaper to buy and easier to use….. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Sewage smell in Bathroom Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I get a sewage smell from bathroom sink when gas fire logs, the vented type, in fireplace are lite in the living room. Bathroom is on same floor. Thanks

Sewage smell in morning bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

There is a sewage smell in the bathroom sink after it sits especially in the morning:cool: :confused:

Sewage Smell from upstairs sink [ 2 Answers ]

I may be handy, but it takes me 5 times longer to do anything. (Husband travels extensively, so taking 5x longer is better than it not getting done at all!) I notice a very strong sewage odor coming from my upstairs bathroom sink. (Not something you want to encounter when brushing your teeth...

Bathroom sink Drains into #2 sink [ 3 Answers ]

I have bathroom sink drain problems. The master bath sink drains into the shared bathroom sink which is located directly on the other side of the wall. I recently remodeled the bathroom and the only difference in the plumbling is a horizontal length of pipe I added to accommodate the new sink...

View more questions Search