Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Dual Booting W2k3 Server and XP pro
    Hi All,

I've a working custom built Desktop PC with Win XP Pro running without any issues. My 80GB HDD is partitioned into 4 partitions of 20GB each. Now I'm curious to know whether I can install Windows 2000 Server, so as to make it a dual booting system.
    Someone told me that I can't do so and I verified the MSknowledge base and I found out that I can't do so. As the latest OS is to be installed Last.

Moreover, I was told one way that I can install W2k Server on the existing partition but it would corrupt the XP file system but I can work around by using the repair option in the XP install CD after the W2k Server has been installed. Is this true?

If the above points are wrong then how can I work around it??

Then can I install W2k3 Server on the XP Pro as MS said Latest Last?? I'm trying to download an evaluation copy of 2003 Server. If yes, then can u give me step by step procedure so that I can install without issues.

Thanks in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2005, 11:26 AM
    You CAN install either 2k server or 2k3 as long as its on a separate partition.

My box at work is setup just like this, the only difference is the OS's are on separate physical drives rather than partitions.

Works like a dream.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 6, 2005, 12:22 PM
    I agree, the original reason for installing the latest OS last was usuallly to deal with the win9x operating systems, but it is a good rule of thumb as newer operating systems will understand how the previous ones installed and not vice versa.

Don't install two operating systems to the same partition whatever you do - it will only end in tears even if you manage it.
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2005, 01:23 PM
    I do understand but I woouldnt install W2K/3 Server in the same partition, instead in the D drive as in C drive XP is already installed. As I have C:,D:,E:,F: partitions. Can't I install W2k/3 in the D drive? And use the repair option to repair XP after installing W2k/3?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saivstech
    I do understand but i woouldnt install W2K/3 Server in the same partition, instead in the D drive as in C drive XP is already installed. As I have C:,D:,E:,F: partitions. Can't I install W2k/3 in the D drive?? And use the repair option to repair XP after installing W2k/3??

W2k3 on D: will work fine.
    To answer the last part, there is NO need to do a repair on your XP install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dual booting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I Had Dual Booting With Windows98se (c Drive) & Windows Xp (d Drive) . I Removed Xp By Formatting D Drive. How Do I Remove The Shortcut At Booting Initially

IBM 390X CD-ROM Booting Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just got an IBM 390X at a computer show. I have no docs and Windows is not my really my specialty. Neither are laptops. So, here's my problem. I replaced the hard drive because I needed more disk, and now I need to reinstall Windows. I can't seem to boot from the DVD drive to start the...

Windows XP not booting up properly [ 16 Answers ]

I'm currently posting from my own laptop, but my family's main computer isn't doing so well. Everything was working fine last night, no problems with shut down or anything else for that matter, but this morning when my dad turned on the computer, Windows refused to finish loading. We are running XP...

Pop ups after booting-up [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 boxes that appear when I bootup. The one that troubles me most is :- error loading c:\programfiles\wild tangent\apps\CDA\cda engine 0400.dll My PC is running okay. How can I stop these boxes appearing?

Dual booting winxp and win98se [ 3 Answers ]

?How do I dual boot with winxp and win98se on separate harddrives? Itried it before and ran good for 2 days then I lost my 98, had to reformat the drive, right now I'm using a switch and I'm about to build another machine tomorrow and don't want to use the switch anymore because of some errors in...

View more questions Search