Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JGW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Bank Account Levy, joint account
    Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to why the shouldn't take the funds.

Now, after getting a bit of insight from a friend, I learned in PA, that though bank levy's are legal, with proper court notice, that we may be able to get the levy removed, as it was a debt that occurred before we we married, as well as the fact that it is not in my name. All of the funds going into the account for the last few months have been from my paychecks alone, as she has been unemployed for quite some time, having bad luck and all.

Is this right? What do I need to do if so? Also, though the levy was placed on the funds in there at that moment, if anything is deposited after the fact, ie: direct deposit paycheck 2 days later, is the newly deposited money accessible? I read that the initial funds are only what is included in the levy.

I really need to know, as the initial funds, and the deposit to come were to pay our rent, and may get us evicted if I can't free any of it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2007, 05:14 PM
    First, if they have a judgement against here (and it appears they do), then they can legally attach any account she is listed as joint owner on. Did you not know she had a judgement against her?

You can go back to the court that issued the levy and ask that it be vacated on the grounds that the only funds in the account were from your income. This means you will need months of statements to show where the deposits came from and what the balances were.

The laws vary and it depends on the wording of the court order. It could only be on the balance at the time it was served or it could refer to any further deposits until the debt is paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop a levy on a joint bank account? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently found out that there was a levy placed on our accounts for money I owed to a creditor... If I take myself off his account, can they still take money out of his sole accounts?

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

I found out today that my bank account was levied for a long ago store card dept. I don't know if it's a one time levy or continuous. Are my hands completely tied? What can I do? Will they take all my money?:confused:

Levy on bank account [ 1 Answers ]

If a creditor trustee has sent me a letter saying that they put in a judgement for a levy on my account, What is next? Do I wait for another letter from a judge or some sort?

View more questions Search