Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pingleequan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 09:14 PM
    TRANE XL80 blower stopped turning
    Hi
    I have a TRANE XL80 Furnace. Couple of days ago the furnace “Blower” started to make humming and grinding noise and it wouldn’t turn. I then would give it a push start by turning it by hand, and it would turn for couple of hours and it would do the same thing.

An hour ago, it stopped turning even when I turn it by hand. I can hardly see the blower blades turn very very slow. I can stick my hand inside the blower to feel the knob sticking out of the center. I sprayed WD40 at the knob but it did not make any difference. I can’t see the center but I did it by feel.

What can I do to get it to turn and to stop making that awful noise? I have 3 kids and would appreciate your help

I may need to uninstall it. How can I do that?

How much does it cost normally to replace it, if need be?

Thanks in advance for any help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 09:55 PM
    Is this the style where the motor is inside the blower, and the blower is mounted on the shaft of the motor? It is possible there is a little cap near the center of the motor where the shaft comes out. It is tough to get at, but putting a little oil in it may get it going again. Many bearings are lubed for life, and when they go dry, that is the end of the life of the motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

New Trane XR13 A/C [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New Orleans, LA and since hurricane Katrina prices for everything have gone up. 6 years ago I had a new Bryant central heating system installed (company did not have Trane units at that time). Also had new coils installed at the same time. The company installed Carrier coils. I...

Trane A/C Handler [ 2 Answers ]

The blower makes a slight noise, almost rattling. I looked at the blower unit and it has the part number M412TB31V. Now I'm not sure if that's just the wheel, motor or both the motor and wheel. I would like to replace the motor and wheel, as I can't determine exactly where the noise is coming...

Trane 500 AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 10 year old central AC and it started to do this split second double start, then it runs just fine cooling the house. What do you think it is? Mike

Squeaky Trane Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Noticed last night that my Trane furnace was squeaking like a cricket when the air conditioner was running. Then every so often it would make an awful squealing sound like maybe a motor was getting stuck and unable to turn. From reading other posts I'm guessing that I might have a bearing or belt...

View more questions Search