Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Weddington Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly
    We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Well of course she is not a true salary if she is getting over time, by most of the standards I have worked under.

But as one this has happened to in the past, unless there is a employee contract and unless there is a union, you may change someone's pay up, down, salary, and the such if you want to.

Now on the situation if this job has several people doing it, all will have to change, you can change all of your supervisors back to hourly, not just one of them for example.

But as a current salary employee, we are salary, we work for one amount, no matter if that is 30 hours or 60 hours. While the law on this may have changed, in fact when I worked for Ship and Shore as a salary employee, the fact I was required to keep track of my hours ( punch in and out) required them to pay me over time. We got a large back pay on that law suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

Salary hours vs hourly employee [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works? Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Salary Vs. Hourly [ 5 Answers ]

I understand the difference between exempt and non-exempt and how to actually pay them, but are there any legal ramifications for not paying someone that is salary for a sick day if they have exhausted all of their paid time off benefits? Toni Davis [email protected]

View more questions Search