Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scocyn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 11:27 PM
    General electric washer problems
    I have an older model ge washing machine. It washes fine and agitates well also but when it comes to spinning the clothes out it does not do a very good job. The clothes are still quite wet when it finishes. Most times it has to be spun out 3 or 4 times to get even close. Also when it is spinning it seems to spin off center. No matter how much I adjust the clothes in the drum it still spins off center unless it is empty and even then it is a bit out of line. Please help , there are 5 of us in this house and the laundry is piling up badly!
    Thanks!!
    Scott

Nov 29, 2007, 11:47 PM
    An addendun to my first question is that when the dryer does spin it doesn't as fast as it should so what would cause this also?
    Thanks again,
    Scott
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2007, 04:05 AM
    Since your idea of "older" and my idea of "older" may be different could you please supply the model number? That way I know which of the 2 style GE machines it is. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me co quickly. I looked all over this thing and the only numbers I could find were one inside the lid near the instructions(g-149-0) and on the back on a red and white sticker(143b8673p003) neither one looks like a serial # to me but that's the reason I am here. I am washer impaired.
    Thanks again,
    Scott
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2007, 05:16 PM
    You might have a worn belt or belts

Dec 1, 2007, 07:15 AM
    GE washers (no matter how old) only have 1 belt... Only Dependable Care Maytags, old Amana and Speed Queen used 2 belts...

Meanwhile, Look on the left side of the cabinet by the floor towards the front of the machine. If the model tag is there we have an old style washer. GE models generally look like this WWA8500WSA. Also another easy way to tell how old it is - Is the inner tub plastic or porcelin? Let me know and we will go from there.

The dryer? Lets deal with the dryer after we solve the washer problem or it will get confusing.

Dec 1, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Sorry, I meant the washer. The dryer is fine. You are so smart! The model # was right where you said! It is (wwa707obalwh and the serial# is sm142202g) that s what it all looks like.Someone has painted over it and I had to scrape some of it off. Could it be just a belt? And how hard is it to change it or even find one to fit it. I don't necessarily hear the belt slip or anything when the washer is working. Would that possibly be a sign that it is bad?
    I really appreciate your help!!
    Scott

By the wau the inner tub looks like metal but it could be coated in porcelain.

Dec 3, 2007, 07:14 AM
    All access for the parts we need to get to are through the back of the machine. Remove the giant piece of pressboard and you will be able to get to everything. The belt could be worn but I have a feeling you may need to purchase or rebuild the clutch. I am not ready to condemn any particular piece yet till I get some information from some investigating you to do. Does the machine make a loud metal crash at the end of the spin cycle? Is there any oil or water spray on the inside of the pressboard backing? Is there a water trail from the weep hole on the pump? Is the frame intact that the transmission mounts on? Look at the belt what is its condition? Again all of this is visible from behind with the back removed. Let me know what you come up with.

Dec 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Hey its been a while (kidney stones) but to answer your previous question , no there is no loud metal noise at the end of the cycle just the sound of what I would guess is the clutch trying to slow the washer down after it has been spinning, no oil or water leaks present either. Going to check the belt next but I don't hear it slip. Would it sound like a slipping belt on a car?our clothes are soaked no matter how many times we spin them.
    Scott
    waylayedx2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
    I have the same washer GE WWA707OBALWH with the same problem but mine has gone so far that it does not spin at all any more. There is a black film all over the floor underneath the washer and covering the inside of the pressboard backing. The belt is in good shape, the pump spins and doesn't leak, but the belt doesn't move. The pulley that the belt is on does not move at all but the pump is spinning freely and the frame apears to be completely intact and solid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

Love Problems Lifes in general [ 1 Answers ]

Feel so down I read cards but want someone to read for me as my lifes a big mess Am out of work (accident to leg) no money. Marriage of 15 years too far gone to fix so we stay together as friends. Works OK but am in love with my childhood sweetheart he says and shows he loves me but yes you guess...

View more questions Search