Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsmoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Remove cast iron flange
    I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches long and then it connects to black PVC below that. I would like to remove the cast iron part without damaging the PVC. What is the best way to do that? I drilled a couple of holes through the shower pan itself, but it would be time consuming to drill enough holes to free the pan from the drain by this method.

Thanks for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2005, 03:23 PM
    Cast iron is very brittle and will break easily. To removethe shower base I would take a hammer and whack the flange till it breaks. You may then removethe base and pick out the rest of the cast iron drain. Good luck, Tom
    jsmoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 03:32 PM
    Thanks speedball1. I used a chisel and mini-sledge (I'm a geologist!) to remove the tile walls of the original shower so they should work perfectly for the flange. I'll have more questions if I have to extend the PVC riser after I remove the cast iron!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

How to remove cast iron [ 6 Answers ]

I have some sewage pipes in my basement that I have to remove because one of them is cracking and leaking. The problem is that I can't get the joints apart. Does anyone know how to remove the sealing compound for old cast iron pipes. They were put in around 1945 so I am pretty sure that there is...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search