Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Adoption and adding adopted father on birth certificate
    I am getting married in a few weeks and my soon to be husband is wanting to adopt my son. My son's birth certificate doesn't have a father's name on there, just mine. I was wondering if my husband's name could be added on to my son's birth certificate. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Threre is a very long and detailed process. First the bio father, even though not listed will have to be notified of the desire of the step parent to adopt. They will be given a chance to sign over any rights, and/or apper in court. If they can not be found, there is a legal process of notifiction that has to be followed.

After the bio fathers rights are gone, then the step parent may adopt.
    Some states have guidelines like one year of marriage first, many don't.

You will need an attorney to work you though all of the required forms, filings and court motions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 10 Answers ]

What's the process for adding a name to a birth certificate years after the child is born?

I was adopted at birth, closed adoption. [ 34 Answers ]

I was adopted at birth in hudson New York 1993. The hospital was Columbia Memorial Hospital in hudson ny. It was a closed adoption. I was adopted in to a family my adopted father is a doctor he works at Columbia Memorial Hospital he has been since before I was born. I am 14 years old now I have no...

Adding the father's name to a birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

I am Bahamian, my child was born in New York. I did not list the father's name on the child's birth certificate. He is not american. How can I list it now.

Changing child's Name and adding Father to Birth Certificate- Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I am the father of a 3 year old son. My name was not put on the birth certificate. His mother has since died and I gained full custody through court. I had to submit a DNA to prove I was the father to get custody. My question is this, how can I get my name on his birth certificate and have his...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search