Ask
    andr3a1435 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Weight: amt of matter in object is weight. True or false
    Is the answer false because that is mass
    red_cartoon Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Nov 30, 2007, 09:48 AM
    False

Mass is the amount of matter present in object. Weight is the force exerted on that object due to gravitational pull.
    mum45 Posts: 62, Reputation: 28

May 1, 2009, 12:23 AM

You had me at mass, and lost me at weight. All I could think about was a box of feathers would be a lot lighter than the same size box of rocks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mum45 View Post
    You had me at mass, and lost me at weight. All I could think about was a box of feathers would be a lot lighter than the same size box of rocks!
    In a gravitational field this is true, but in zero gravity they would weigh the same (0N), but the rocks would still have more mass.

Mass is the amount of stuff, weight is the amount of force needed to lift it, and is dependent on the gravitational field.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 04:43 AM
    All I could think about was a box of feathers would be a lot lighter than the same size box of rocks!
    Don't confuse density (mass/volume) with weight or mass. The old kids' question, "which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?" comes to mind.

As started above, mass is a property of the material. If you were in zero gravity, any mass would have zero weight. On the moon where gravity is less, you would weigh less than you do on earth -- but you'd have the same mass.

We normally use weight to determine mass -- at least here on earth. However, in very accurate experiments, we have to correct for small changes in the force of gravity (gravity is less at higher altitudes, for example) and for the buoyancy of the material in air. The buoyancy requires a knowledge of the volume of the object.

May 1, 2009, 07:53 AM
    :eek:
    Are y'all trying to teach me?? :eek:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mum45 View Post
    :eek:
    Are y'all trying to teach me???:eek:
    That's pretty much why we hang aroun dhere ;D

May 3, 2009, 10:49 PM

Mmmhmmm. Buoyancy of material in the air? Ohboy, y'all ARE going to teach me. :p see I just was all thinking "oh, yeah, rocks are really light in the water, I get it", then you start talking about buoyancy of material in the AIR!! :confused::confused:
    Gets out the FAFSA.. Going back to school in the fall. Dern it all.:eek::eek:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 06:34 AM

LOL mum45... if you come here, especially in the science threads, you sure will see yourself in school! :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

True or false? [ 4 Answers ]

If the demand for money increases and the Fed wants to target interest rates, The money supply will have to increase. True or false?

True or false [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that the us is a unitary state because power is divided between the central gov. and the local gov?

True or false [ 2 Answers ]

Is an e'mail traceable back to the sender?

I'm 5,9 I weight 200 pounds! Is that the right weight for me? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 5,9 I weight 200 pounds! Is that the right weight for me?

View more questions Search