Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sweetieface Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 12:01 PM
    Short-term assets, Patent, Revenue and capital expenditures
    Can anyone tell me if Utilities expense, Supplies expense, Advertising cost, Shipping cost if any of these are considered short-term assets?
    Is prepaid legal fees considered capital expenditure or revenue expenditure?
    and lastly I need help with this question:
    Show the journal entry, on June 20, that records the value of a patent given the following circumstances:
    Developoment cost 240 000
    Legal research cost 6 200
    Registration cost 8 400

Please can anyone help on any of these question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    humble48 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Sweetiface,

I don't see how any of the first line is an asset. All of those are expenses that you must pay to encourage your business' growth. None of those will add money to your pocket. Your assets must be putting money into your pocket in the end game. Everything listed will help put more money in, but nothing directly. Your asset is the thing that you are doing all of that for that in the end, is giving you money. Otherwise, I consider it a liability. Those are all liabilities.

The unknown is what you are doing there. If it's, for example, a real estate, your asset is the land. The rest is the liability. Put your money into those things if you want to sell it, rent it, or lease it. Other than that, you're just spending in my opinion and not actually earning.

Just a reminder, that's all this is. Just advice. Your own decision should be yours.

I have no advice on the patents as I do not have experience in that area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weak short term memory [ 4 Answers ]

I want to improve my memory.I have a good long term memory i.e remember the things very well happened long ago but forget the things of DAY TO DAY daily life.Pls provide the solution

Patent law [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a patent on an invention. During the process, I was suddenly notified that the Patent Office was publishing my application. Since I had assumed that patent applications were to be kept a secret, I was very surprised that this happened. On researching the issue later, I...

How do you elaborate your success either short/long term? [ 1 Answers ]

This is not my story but someone who has been really part of me for a very long time which really inspire me. I met this guy right after college. He grew up pretty much on his own. Sometimes his grandparents took care of him sometimes his parents but never the time they really shared a real...

Interest Revenue [ 2 Answers ]

Globo company accepted a $8000. Interest-bearing note receivable from a client on July 1. The note requires payment of 12% annual interest, and both the principal amount of the note and the interest will be due six months later, on Dec.31. If financial statements are prepared at the end of July,...

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search