Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LostInLaundry Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Maytag Dryer model DE806 starts only on high setting - shrinking clothes
    Hi,

We purchased a used Maytag dryer model DE 806 5 1/2 years ago and it works OK except it does not operate on any cycle except high heat. This is obviously causing some premature clothing wear, and wrinkles the clothes horribly. I've thought of replacing it, but our brand new Kenmore (Frigidaire) FL washing machine just tanked after only 5 1/2 years, and I am more impressed with the old stuff, frankly. If we were to repair instead of replace, does anybody have ideas about:

1. Why the dryer will not start on any other setting but high?
    2. Whether this model has a "wrinkle guard" - in other words, does it run the air fluff after the higher heat settings?
    3. Whether it's worthwhile to replace parts on a dryer that is probably 10+ years old?

Thanks! I plan on doing something within the next day or two, so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated. I had to wash 10 loads at the laundromat today, and hope not to repeat that.
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Question # 1 the timer and/or thermastat isn't working properly
    Question # 2 No
    Question # 3 No
    Prairie Son
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Will not start - explain? Just won't heat or won't even start and run? Your second question - are you asking if it has a cool down at the end of each cycle?

YES IT IS WORTH FIXING THIS MACHINE!! Parts are not only cheaper (generally) but easier to carry into the house.

To diagnose and repair this machine I need to know your skill level and if you own an ohms meter. If you don't own a meter $10 wisely spent at a Wal Mart will get you one (automotive dept). I will teach you how to use it if you would like.

(I may know a thing or 2 about this machine, I have been servicing appliances for 15 yrs and I am an authorized Maytag Service Technician.)

Did you get rid of the other washer by the way? We can fix that also if you still have it.

Dec 3, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately, we had to make a decision as we are literally "lost in laundry" and have been without either for about 3 weeks! I will definitely keep you in mind for future repairs if you're interested in helping in the future (can you send me a private message with your contact info?). We purchased an LG Washer w/extended warranty - 4 years, and another Maytag - no warranty.

Wish we could have waited a little longer, but since my and my husband's skill levels are nil we were concerned about taking on something like this. Sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal. We did look at repairing the Kenmore/Frigidaire and it would've been almost as much as new washer from what the tech told me - minimum of $500-$600. Hopefully the LG stands the test of time. And, the Maytag is as good as it was before Whirlpool.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by applsvcgirl
    Will not start - explain? Just wont heat or wont even start and run? Your second question - are you asking if it has a cool down at the end of each cycle?

YES IT IS WORTH FIXING THIS MACHINE!!!! Parts are not only cheaper (generally) but easier to carry into the house.

To diagnose and repair this machine I need to know your skill level and if you own an ohms meter. If you don't own a meter $10 wisely spent at a Wal Mart will get you one (automotive dept). I will teach you how to use it if you would like.

(I may know a thing or 2 about this machine, I have been servicing appliances for 15 yrs and I am an authorized Maytag Service Technician.)

Did you get rid of the other washer by the way? We can fix that also if you still have it.

Dec 3, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Thanks very much for your reply. This was a last minute question, and we ended up purchasing an LG washer with Maytag dryer. Hopefully the new models will last as long as their reviews indicate. Disheartening to see how short a time they last, but now I'm aware of this site and people like you - appreciate the knowledge base if we should have problems down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by prairie son
    Question # 1 the timer and/or thermastat isn't working properly
    Question # 2 No
    Question # 3 No
    Prairie Son
    glenn4438 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Replace temp/sel/swt .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Maytag Dryer doesn't dry my clothes? [ 3 Answers ]

My dryer don't dry my clothes... it doesn't get hot.

Maytag electric clothes dryer [ 3 Answers ]

My Maytag electric clothes dryer gets hot but the clothes do not dry. What is wrong?

Maytag Dryer tumber starts/stops [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer. When I push the timer button, it just hums. If my wife pushes the button and I turn the drum, it will start, then it "clicks" and turns off, until the RPM's are low and then starts up again. I took the drum and belt off. The motor spins freely. I then spun the blower...

Shrinking clothes [ 1 Answers ]

How would you shrink a shirt that's too big? I don't know what it's made of; I've already tried the washer and dryer. Is there any other way?

View more questions Search