Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Alternatives for Sandwiches
    Hello there, was looking for alternatives to sandwiches... anything different, warm, tasty etc... sandwiches get very very boring!!
    Many thanks
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Not very healthy but here goes. Sauté onions in butter or oil, fry 2 pieces of bologna layer, onions, mustard, and bologna between 2 pieces of buttered bread and grill. My daughters creation that loves bologna.

Nov 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the answer, now is bologna mince or is it something else... googled it but only found the city in Italy!. sounds tasty though.. anything with sauteed onions... mmmm
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Wow, not sure what it is, Google up Oscar mayer bologna or Kahns bologna.Kahn's - The taste you've always loved.

Nov 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Ok, got it from wikipedia... its like an Italian mortadilla. I have some of that in fridge, will try it out 2moro.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Nov 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Another alternative to sandwiches are wraps! I take a tortilla shell and put anything in it (most recently I put turkey, cranberry sauce, nuts and cream cheese in it) and then I put it in a pan on the stove with no oil, just to warm it up and make the outside a little crispy. Sometimes I put chicken, cheese and spanish rice in there too. Or you could make pita pockets and throw anything in those. :)

Hope this helps!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 11:17 AM
    When we got bored with same ole peanut butter and jelly my mom would make us peanut butter and jelly roll ups. You cut off the crust of the bread, roll it thin with a plastic cup and spread it with pb and j. Then roll it up. It is like a little tube. Just a fun variation.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Buy some chicken, beef roast, or ham--bake and shred it or slice it down. Lunch meat isn't the same as it use to be. They put so much chemicals in it it doesn't even have any texture any more. I swear it is like eating the plastic off band aids!

My favorite sandwiches (besides Italian hoagies)

Chunks of chicken with bacon and melted mozzerela cheese and mayo on toast

Shredded roast beef topped with melted cheddar, Arbys sauce and ketchup on an onion bun

Shredded pulled pork with bar b que sauce on a good bun.

Potato skins with cheddar cheese, bacon, chives and sour cream.

BLT's are yummy too!

Ahhh the bacon is what MAKES the chicken sandwich!! :D

Nov 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Wow that does sound rather tasteless! The shredded chicken sounds good... Strickly no pork diet though... so could do much of the rest... Arbys sauce? You guys have the best condiments in the world... am jealous (",)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Make little pizzas using english muffins; all you need is a split english muffin, marinara sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like. Pop it into the toaster oven to warm it up and done!

Fish (especially salmon) is really easy to prepare; I make a mixture of melted butter with garlic and dill, pour it over the fish and broil it.

Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
    That is really cool, and the kids (obviously being kids) love pizza, sounds tasty and quick to make!!
    Many thanks Jillian (",)
    Any other tasty morsels?
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I'm full of quick meal ideas! :)

Going along with the pizza thing, you can take kaiser rolls (or your favorite rolls) split them open and scoop out the insides. Then fill with ricotta (or cottage cheese if you prefer), and other favorite pizza toppings. Put the "lid" on and stick under the broiler to get all warm and toasty. This makes a quick little calzone.

For a slightly heartier meal, slice up a sweet onion, some mushrooms, and pork, chicken or beef (or all if you want!). Put into a zip-top bag and let marinate in your favorite salad dressing; I like this one: Newman's Own - Products because it has a slight Asian-style taste to it, but I don't know if you can get it in the UK. Anyway, let your stuff marinate for a bit, then cook it on the stovetop until the onions are all soft and translucent and the meat is cooked through. Serve over rice or noodles.

"Fake" Chicken Parmesan; Take your favorite jar sauce and put a little on the bottom of a baking pan. Add chicken breasts and top with parmesan cheese and more sauce. Bake until done. Serve over buttered noodles.

Cut chicken into chunks, put into glass baking dish and coat with some olive oil. Sprinkle with Montreal Grill Seasoning McCormick Product Detail - Grill Mates® Montreal Steak Seasoning chopped garlic and rosemary (or thyme, whatever fresh herbs you have). Add zest from one lemon. Bake until chicken is done, then turn the oven off and add a splash of white wine (or chicken broth) and the juice from the lemon. Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite side.

I don't do many lunches, if that's what you're looking for, but all the meals I mention are really easy and pretty kid-friendly. I don't cook many things that take more than 30 minutes or so to prepare, so I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray's 30 min meals. Here's a link to her books; there's a lot of great recipes in there! I have "Cooking 'Round the Clock" and use it all the time.

Amazon.com: rachael ray: Books

Also, there's a free magazine Kraft Foods puts out quarterly; you might not be able to get it in the UK, but here's a link to the archives:

food&family Archive

All the stuff in the magazines is really simple to make, and it gives you some of the nutritional information. It's all really adaptable stuff too, so you can take out or add things you like and don't like to make the recipe suit your tastes more. All the recipes say to use "Kraft" whatever, but of course, that's not really necessary in most cases!
    buskaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki_doki
    Hello there, was looking for alternatives to sandwiches.....anything different, warm, tasty etc......sandwiches get very very boring!!!!
    Many thanks
    Hi, try using tortilla wraps instead-very yummy

Nov 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I'm full of quick meal ideas! :)

Going along with the pizza thing, you can take kaiser rolls (or your favorite rolls) split them open and scoop out the insides. Then fill with ricotta (or cottage cheese if you prefer), and other favorite pizza toppings. Put the "lid" on and stick under the broiler to get all warm and toasty. This makes a quick little calzone.

For a slightly heartier meal, slice up a sweet onion, some mushrooms, and pork, chicken or beef (or all if you want!). Put into a zip-top bag and let marinate in your favorite salad dressing; I like this one: Newman's Own - Products because it has a slight Asian-style taste to it, but I don't know if you can get it in the UK. Anyway, let your stuff marinate for a bit, then cook it on the stovetop until the onions are all soft and translucent and the meat is cooked through. Serve over rice or noodles.

"Fake" Chicken Parmesan; Take your favorite jar sauce and put a little on the bottom of a baking pan. Add chicken breasts and top with parmesan cheese and more sauce. Bake until done. Serve over buttered noodles.

Cut chicken into chunks, put into glass baking dish and coat with some olive oil. Sprinkle with Montreal Grill Seasoning McCormick Product Detail - Grill Mates® Montreal Steak Seasoning chopped garlic and rosemary (or thyme, whatever fresh herbs you have). Add zest from one lemon. Bake until chicken is done, then turn the oven off and add a splash of white wine (or chicken broth) and the juice from the lemon. Put back in the oven for about 5 mins. Serve with your favorite side.

I don't do many lunches, if that's what you're looking for, but all the meals I mention are really easy and pretty kid-friendly. I don't cook many things that take more than 30 mins or so to prepare, so I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray's 30 min meals. Here's a link to her books; there's a lot of great recipes in there! I have "Cooking 'Round the Clock" and use it all the time.

Amazon.com: rachael ray: Books

Also, there's a free magazine Kraft Foods puts out quarterly; you might not be able to get it in the UK, but here's a link to the archives:

food&family Archive

All the stuff in the magazines is really simple to make, and it gives you some of the nutritional information. It's all really adaptable stuff too, so you can take out or add things you like and don't like to make the recipe suit your tastes more. All the recipes say to use "Kraft" whatever, but of course, that's not really necessary in most cases!

Oh Jillean, I love you!! That has been very most helpful!!
    Am getting hungry now (",)
    Thank you:o

Nov 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buskaz
    hi, try using tortilla wraps instead-very yummy
    Yes thank you (",)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Roll out flat one-fourth-size pieces of refrigerator rolls, lay them on a cookie sheet (greased, if the wrapper says to do that), add pizza sauce, whatever toppings you want, grated mozzarella cheese, and bake as per directions for rolls.

This is a terrific Cub Scout activity, snack, and crowd pleaser.

Nov 30, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Make the kids make their lunches themselves... I like it... he he he (",)
    Are refrigirator rolls (damn you used a much more descriptive title for them) like sub rolls?
    Many thanks wondergirl
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Refrigerator rolls are in the refrigerator section of the grocery store and are made by Pillsbury or other bread companies and are in a cylindrical can about the side of an empty toilet paper roll and you pop them open and lay the rolls on a baking sheet to bake them.

Nov 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
    I was saying something about condiments earlier... its not just condiments, I don't want to visit the US because I won't leave... love my food, will have to find these rolls... am doubtful but will persevere.
    Thanks Wondergirl
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki_doki
    Oh Jillean, I love you!!! that has been very most helpful!!!
    Am getting hungry now (",)
    thank you:o
    You're welcome! :)

Here's a link to one of my favorite recipe sites - All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips

You can change the number of servings and it will change the recipe for you, and it can convert to metric units as well. I've found just about everything on that site - and lots of new stuff to try. You can even make an account and save recipes in a "recipe box" so you don't have to go searching.

Happy cooking!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternatives to sex? [ 7 Answers ]

Since I can't seem to win my boyfriend over in bed, is there anyway I can bring my libido down... I've tried "doing it myself" but that just puts me in the mood even more, and with me being pregnant my hormones are driving me bonkers. There is absolutely no way I can change his mind so is there...

Shaving alternatives during pregnancy. [ 4 Answers ]

:) Okay... hello again to everyone first of all... it's been a while since I've posted anything. I have been around though. I have a question concerning alternatives to shaving during pregnancy... other than waxing! I'm 24 weeks along and I'm getting to the point where I can't get to some areas....

High School Alternatives [ 15 Answers ]

All right. I'm 15 and I really really don't belong in High School. I need to know a way that I can get my diploma in five months, when I turn 16. Because I'm dropping out so I can help my family with money. I'll probably be pulling two jobs . And I'm really kind of freaked out. Because I was just...

BK Alternatives [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am at a point where I have to file BK. What if I do not file BK and let the creditors sue me? What happens in order? Do I have to show up at court each time I get sued? I have no problem if they enter a judgement against me. I live in California. Thanks for your detailed explanations ...

Alternatives to bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I don`t have enough debt to file for bankruptcy,only @ $500. Any alternatives?

View more questions Search