Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marfid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Unsupervised probation
    Can it be altered or finished early if granted by the courts? A motion made by an attorney CAN IT LEGALY BE DONE yes or no??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marfid
    CAN IT LEGALY BE DONE yes or no????
    Hello again, marfid:

You should keep your posts under the same thread.

In the law, nothing is quite as simple as we'd like it to be.

I can't say whether in your jurisdiction the judge has the authority to terminate your probation early. That is dependent on state law if you were convicted of a state offense, or county law or even city law. I don't know your circumstances.

It would be my BET, however, that a judge CAN do it.

However, even if you got in front of a judge, and even if he CAN do it, you need to ask yourself, WILL he do it! In my view, he WOULDN'T. In the first place, you're going to have a prosecutor arguing against your motion telling the judge all the reasons he SHOULN'T grant it. And, unless you have a compelling reason why it SHOULD be granted, I don't think it would. Certainly, he'd view your sentence as a slap on the wrist (which it is - and I don't even know what you did), and wouldn't be inclined to grant your request for early termination.

That's my opinion.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsupervised probation [ 2 Answers ]

My brother-in-law is on unsupervised probation in Tennessee. He wants to come live with me and his brother in Michigan. Will he get in trouble for leaving state if he does?

Unsupervised probation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on unsupervised probation for a year I've done 6 months of it I don't know the point of unsupervised probation, now my question is... is there any legal way to by the help of an attorney or otherwise get off probation early like for employment reasons?? :

My friend is on unsupervised probation, he was pulled over for a break light. He had his licenses and registration and insurance. The passenger in the car had a open container and the officer searched the car. The glove department had crack cocaine in it. It was the passenger but he got locked up...

My ex-husband is on unsupervised probation. Is he allowed to possess a firearm, or leave the state without prior consent or notification?

Unsupervised probation [ 1 Answers ]

I am on unsupervised probation in the state of Indiana but I am going to college in Idaho. I have paid all my fines and attended the alcohol classes on time and with no problems. I have one month left on my year long probation but 5 months ago I got pulled over for invalid license. I called the...

View more questions Search