Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IowaGuy Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Constant wireless disconnects
    I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    A newer HP Pavilion laptop.

When connected wirelessly, the internet goes up and down about 3 times an hour.

This happens all times of day.
    This happens on my wife's Mac laptop.

The router was replaced about 3 months ago because I assumed it was being caused by a faulty router.

I have cable internet and I live in a new housing development with, I assume, good connections to my house.

Now, for the odd thing. My in-laws have the same router. They live in rural Iowa. We went there for Thanksgiving and my wireless connected stayed up for the entire 3 days there (I know, 3 days with the inlaws!). This should rule out my laptop.

I have reset my settings twice on the router.

Could this be happening because of the fequency of the router, maybe its being disrupted by someone's cordless phone or something?

Any other suggestions?
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Try keeping the MAC powered off and see if your laptop disconnects while the MAC is off.

If your laptop stays connected, you've found the culprit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Its certainly possible, in a close-in housing development, that cordless phones and other wireless routers may interfere. You might try changing the channel (the 2.4Ghz channel) on your router.
    OCSteve Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Make sure the firmware on every component is up to date.
    IowaGuy Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 03:41 PM
    My wife is a teach and the MAC is only at home during the weekends.
    Rules the evil mac out.
    I called Linksys and they helped me upgrade to the latest firmware. I forgot to mention it.

I'll change the channel on the router this weekend.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Some wireless telephone systems interfere with wireless. Changing the channel is a good choice. There were nice programs for the MAC to evaluate wireless networks. They would give signal to noise ratios. This made selecting a channel a breeze. I'm not MAC now.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 29, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Some wireless telephone systems interfere with wireless. Changing the channel is a good choice. There were nice programs for the MAC to evaluate wireless networks. They would give signal to noise ratios. This made selecting a channel a breeze. I'm not MAC now.
    There's a program called NetStumbler for the PC that will give you the signal strength and signal to noise ratio, too. It's pretty decent.

You might also try aligning the antenna on the router horizontally instead of vertically. If the antenna in the laptop is horizontal, it could help keep a better connection. (Weird, but it worked for me)
    askjuba Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I had a client with the same problems he has wireless phones 2.4ghz. He got rid of them and everything worked, I found dlink to have less problems of this, this is in the same office and with one linksys and one dlink in the same spot, just my comment on what has happened with my client :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Server disconnects [ 1 Answers ]

I am using iprimus broadband ADSL (Australia) and over the last 2 weeks I frequently get a message "cannot find server" and I have to redial. I am guessing it occurs when my mail programme (Outlook Express) auto checks for mail messages. Not a major problem.. but very annoying. Does anyone...

AOL disconnects when I turn on my printer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All I use AOL9.0 VR. Whenever I turn on my printer (hp psc 950), I lose my connection. It does relaunch but sometimes I lose what I'm trying to print! Please help me.

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

Sizing Disconnects for 480v Temporary Service [ 3 Answers ]

How do I pick the right disconnect for 480v temporary service at a construction jobsite?

View more questions Search