Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Unfit Parent
    How can you prove a mother is an unfit parent? A friend (David), his 5 year old daughter(Kayla) is staying with her mother, the mother lives with her boyfriend who is a DJ and they have had a child together.

I have no idea what goes on at the mothers house, but they are always sick and always sleeping. David is starting to wonder if any of them actually work. Kayla gets to school sometimes at 12pm, 9am, 10am. David pays for everything, the mother never has money to contribute towards Kayla's schooling, extra activities, clothes.

Is she an unfit mother?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linkie
    How can you prove a mother is an unfit parent? a friend (David), his 5 year old daughter(Kayla) is staying with her mother, the mother lives with her boyfriend who is a DJ and they have had a child together.

I have no idea what goes on at the mothers house, but they are always sick and always sleeping. David is starting to wonder if any of them actually work. Kayla gets to school sometimes at 12pm, 9am, 10am. David pays for everything, the mother never has money to contribute towards Kayla's schooling, extra activities, clothes.

Is she an unfit mother?
    David can call Social Services (CPS) and tell them that he is suspicious, that Kayla is not receiving good care with her mother. They will visit the house without warning. If the couple is having problems, it will be obvious. Like, no food in the cupboards, garbage lying around, no clean clothes in Kayla's dresser... The child will be removed if there is any cause for suspicion. If David is ready to do this, he must be prepared to care for his daughter right away, perhaps indefinitely.
    lilred40 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2007, 05:08 PM
    I would be suspicious too. It may or may not be... but it kind of sounds like someone in the house might have a "habit", if Kayla is getting to school late, always sick, and always sleeping. I'm no professional of course, but I have seen this in similar cases (friends and a family member), and it was due to them having a "habit". I agree with simoneaugie about calling Children Social Services. They will investigate, and if they feel there is call for removal, they will do so. Where I'm from, when Social Services get called, and they come to a house, they hand you a cup first thing, and ask for a sample (and I don't mean of Mt. Dew! ) Probable Cause for immediate removal! Is the biological father able to provide for the child/children? They will investigate him too, to make sure he is suitable for the child/children to be placed in his care.

Best of luck with this situation. Please keep up posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit parent [ 10 Answers ]

My son is in iraq. He has a 1 year old daughter who lives with her mother. The mother has been diagnosed bi-polar but does not seek treatment. A lot of the time she is very unstable I am very concerned for the safety of my grand-daughter. I know it is not easy to obtain custody but at the same time...

Unfit parent NC [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what constitutes an unfit parent in the state of N.C.

Unfit parent [ 2 Answers ]

I need some information on how to prove a parent is unfit in court. I have been raising my grandchildren for the past two years and now need to protect them more from their father and stepmother. Need all the information I can get. What is the critera that constitutes an unfit parent. ...

Unfit parent [ 1 Answers ]

What is the definition of an unfit parent in the province of new brunswick, canada

Unfit Parent [ 3 Answers ]

PLEASE PLEASE... how do you prove an unfit parent? We have a hearing coming up this Friday and he is trying to say I am unfit because the children missed a lot of school. They do have documentation as to why they missed. They were seeing a child psychologist but his attorney had the judge stop the...

View more questions Search